1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How to cut rear quarter openings for tire clearance?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by roozterdvx, Apr 25, 2008.

1. roozterdvx

Has anybody done this themselves?

I need to enlarge the rear quarter openings for more tire clearance and don't want to hack this up.

My question isn't about measuring and cutting, but about reattaching the inner wheel tub to the quarter.
    The wheel tub has a lip that matches and is spot welded to the lip on the rear quarter. Once thats cut off. what holds the tub. Do I just use body seam sealer, weld it from inside?

Should cut the lip off first then weld the lip on after cutting the quarter?

Ideas?

BTW, I have 1" of space with the car at rest but tire growth at speed eats that right up.

2. botietr

First,do you want to stretch the whole 1/4 or are you just wanting to enlarge the bottoms from the molding down ?
    I can fit a 30x10.5 MT on mine from just extending the lower part of the 1/4s.

[​IMG]#ad

\
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. roozterdvx

That's exactly what I want to do...enlarge the lower part of the openings.
    Ho did you reattach the wheel tub or is it a non-issue and just seal it with seam sealer?

4. botietr

when i cut the outside and moved them apart i just cut the wheelhouse close enough to be able to seal it with a little chalking.its still welded everywhere else.its not going any where.

5. roozterdvx

That's what I need to hear.
    It's not like I drive this around in rain...burnout box is the only water it sees.

6. 1foxbody

I need to do the same thing before I get the car painted so I can save myself the trouble of trying to do it when its all painted.Im going to be putting mini-tubes in soon so ill do it while im there.

7. roozterdvx

I didn't think about it when I did my mini-tubs.
    But I didn't think I needed to either. I have just over 1" of clearance from the tires at rest.

Oh well, at least the car isn't painted yet.

8. S-K SPEED

If you just trim the bottom of the wheel opening then you will be okay, I did this on my 93 coupe and I can fit a 315/60/15 drag radial on a 12 inch rim,
    this has no effect on the inside of the wheel tub, my car was mini tubbed first before I trimmed the quarters,
    I just cut the bottoms below where the molding is, the pics are with the car set down just about all the way but no weight in the trunk,
    this is much easier than stretching the entire quarter panel,
    the only reason to really stretch the quarter panel entirely is if your looking to gain the extra wheelbase length or if you have a 4 link or ladderbar car and are looking to set the car down all the way,
    with the stock suspension and stock floor in the car it cant be set down as far as you can with a 4 link and backhalf setup
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. 1foxbody

That looks perfect can I have more specs? Like backspacing?? Did you narrow the rearend?? Coilovers?? Thats how I want my car to sit except im going to be running a slick Let me know man your car looks great!!!!

10. S-K SPEED

The rear was narrowed 2" per side stock 8.8 fox body housing, axle tubes welded 33 spline axles with lightweight spool, Wilwood rear disc brakes, rear end is braced also
    Im running 15x12 with 7" backspace Weld Magnum 2.0 wheels
    Mickey Thompson 315/60/15 drag radials
    Strange Double Adjustable rear coilovers
    Team Z Rear offset lower control arms
    Wolfe Double Adj Uppers, (only because theyre still in great shape out of my old car when the ends wear out I'll be switching to Team Z)
    and the UPR rear anti roll bar(again I had it laying around thats why I went with it instead of the Team Z piece)
    If you need any other info let me know
    I can get some more pics for you on thursday with it out of the garage, Im painting the engine bay over right now and the front suspension is all out of the car and its resting on a rolling dolley at the moment

11. Gearhead559

this is one of the things i have to do to mine yet still. guess ill be doing this over the weekend

12. roozterdvx

right now, I have about 1" of space between the tire and fender and the tire rubs when it grows.
    I know the radials don't grow like a slick but I'm going to open it up about 1" front and rear.

13. Gearhead559

are you guys cutting off the lip or cutting a pie in the fenders and rewelding?

14. roozterdvx

This is what mine looks like now...

Capri070221.jpg #ad

15. Project X

Pie and re-weld. It looks cleaner with some lip.

29X10.5

[​IMG]#ad

16. ralphiejantz

heres a few more pics for you if your interested
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

17. comecorrect

How much clearance is enough? Is 2" enough with a 32" tire with trap speed of 165? What are you guy shooting for? Thanks!
    MIKE

18. roozterdvx

I've got 1"+ now with 28x10.5 stiff sidewall, 12psi, and they're rubbing. I'm looking to go to 2", (or more as long as it doesn't look like shit).

I've got about 2" on the inside to what's left of the factory tub and they rub there too, (not bad, but the marks are there...I think thats from at the end of the burnout when the tires bite and "bunch" forward. A BFH should give me a little more there, but no big deal without sharp edges)

19. Gearhead559

30" tall tires on mine and i have 1" in the front a 1/4" in the rear.ill post pics later tonight

20. Gearhead559

30" tall on a coupe

rear
    [​IMG]#ad

front
    [​IMG]#ad

side veiw
    [​IMG]#ad

its sits up under the car. i cane run a much wider tire then this and will be