1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

HOW the heck did you guys put in the RETURN line to the pan?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by yellow5.0cobra, May 3, 2003.

1. yellow5.0cobra

Hey guys, im done with my turbos(twin TB03's), I have a serious problem...

I have a couple fittings laying around... but WHAT AM I GOING TO USE to couple a 3/4" hose into my oil pan?

As in a FITTING screwed in the OIL PAN so I can attach the HOSE to it.

I dont know what to use.... and the only heater hose that fits for the OIL return line(from turbo) is 3/4" on the fitting.

They dont make taps 3/4" big... or well I cant FIND ANY! and I dont want to drill my pan... I also DONT want to DROP IT!

So WHAT DID YOU GUYS USE?!?!?!? IM GOING BERZERK!

THANKS!
    Pete:rockon: :stickpk:

2. Brandon

drilled and tapped. napa should have the fittings you need.

3. TwinTurboStrokr

Gonna have to punch and tap your pan in the front and on each side (since you got twins), not really a way around this. It can be accomplished with the pan installed, this is the common method that is outlined in the directions for superghargers.

Here is a little illustration for you, best I can do at the moment.

4. lightweight

You will have to do like they said, punch a hole in it and tap it. You can insert a barbed flexlock fitting for the hose to go on. One thing though, DO NOT USE HEATER HOSE! Its not oil resistant. The oil will eat away at the hose from the inside out and it Will bust. Trust me i know from experiance, a shop installed heater hose for my oil cooler and it busted twice before i realized why it was doing that. Almost costed me a motor.

5. yellow5.0cobra

WOA! What am I going to use?

and well my car is a 94, and it has very limited space from under the car to PUNCH those holes that high up...

also, tap the pan... ok I understand that... but what size is the fitting to tap it? where can I find it? and will it fit the 3/4" hose that its suppose to go on there from the turbo?

Sorry for the annoying questions, but I cant seem to figure it out on my own...:stickpk:

thanks guys!
    Pete

6. yellow5.0cobra

oh ya... I also cant drill the pan while its on the car... the shavings will fall into it and well eat up my motor!

and I dont have enought clearance down there for a drill...

Thanks again
    :stickpk:
    Pete

7. WaterPog

you drill a very small hole, just big enough for the tip of your punch to fit into. don't do a pilot hole, just one drill, and 90% of the shavings will fal on the outside of the pan and you'll be fine. Then you pound in the punch to expand the hole for the fitting. It's a lot easier if you drop the sway bar off, and if you do it in a warm area. For a fitting you'll want to get something with a hose barb on one side and a 3/8"NPT fitting on the other is the most common. The hole will have mushroomed in giving you enough surfact to get some good threads on it. Pack the flutes of the tap with some heavy grease to catch the shavings, and clean/re-pack it often to make sure that they don't end up in the oil pan.

It's really not that difficult. I always change the oil after tapping the pan, which I like to think cleans out most of the larger shavings if any got in there, and any that remain will get cought by the wire screen on the pickup or the oil filter.

8. Brent Davis

I always take a magnet and stick it right at the hole to catch shavings and it'll also hold shavings that may have went inside the pan area. Then take another and move it around the hole to pick up anything else that the first magnet doesn't already have on it.

JM 2 cents

9. turbonatr

Granatelli sells a stand-alone oiling system for turbo/supercharger kits. You don't have to tap your pan at all. The turbo(s) uses a seperate oil supply. You're gonna pay big, though. About $1200.00 if I recall correctly.

10. lightweight

Hell, i'd pull the motor long before i'd pay $1200 for a oiling sys. If anyone wants to buy the stand alone oiling sys cause they dont wanna pull the motor, call me and for $600 i'll pull your motor for you and tap it. Save you half the money. LOL

11. TonyTurbo29

Use a small punch and then gradually go bigger and bigger with it. When it gets to the right size, Tap it. I have it tapped with a 3/8th's NPT.

12. turbonatr

I don't think it's about being lazy. The oiling system will also ensure your turbo won't get harmed if you waste a bearing in your engine. Ever wonder where all those metal shavings in the oil go when an engine goes south? Yup, gets fed right through your turbo's center section. The $1200 on the oiling system could save you from having a $1000+ turbo from being damaged.

I agree, though. $1200 might be a little steep, considering you could build the oiling system for a few hundred bucks. All you would need is a motor, lines, an oil cooler and a res. for the main oil supply.

13. Jimmy

i was lucky enough to have access to my oil pan before putting the motor in....i just used bulkhead fittings

14. 90'LXStang

TonyTurbo what is that orange stuff you used to seal where you made your tap?

15. 302_plus_a_few

Had two -10 fittings welded to the pan before I put the motor in.

16. yellow5.0cobra

Is that the HEATER hose attachment? I have one of those in 3/4" INLET(for the hose from the turbo) and the fitting is 1/2" on the INSIDE portion but it is ------------- that big on the outside.
    (im guessing 3/4"). I cant find a tap ANY BIGGER than 1/2" from ANYWHERE!

I would also like to know where did you pick up that tap to make a big enough hole, also where did you get the hose from?

I am using heater hose as a measurment now(had a lot layin around), and I know heater hose will dissintigrate...

THANKS GUYS!

Pete :rockon:

17. WaterPog

Mine was a 1/2" ID hose on the single setup, and a 3/8"npt fitting with a 1/2" hose barb...home depot stuff man. I think I got the tap from ACE Hardware.

I'd guess that the orange stuff in the above pic is copper RTV.

18. 93PONY

I'm swapping my oil lines to AN at the moment.
    I'm using -8 for the return lines.....which is 1/2 inch inner diameter.

I pulled the pan & will have the steel fittings welled in.
    The entire setup, including steel braided Teflon lines & all the steel fittings cost me less then $40....for 2 turbos.
    There happens to be a fittings shop in town that sells Aeroquip stuff. They have everything in Aluminum & Steel....they also have those bad-ass T-bolt clamps with springs. I like that shop. :D

19. Lordviper13

I wonder if a system like Granatelli's can be made, sure doesn't look like 1200 in parts for a pump a cooler and a little storage tank

where could you get a pump to pump oil though

20. turbonatr

Mallory 110 fuel pump is what I am going to use as my pump. My kit came with a pump to scavenge the oil back to the pan because the turbo sits very low. It was originally designed for water, though. After a while it goes bad pumping hot oil. Another member on this board, Forced302, uses a mallory 110 and it has worked for him perfectly.