1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How often do you change your oil on your weekend warrior/racecar?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by darkhrse99, Dec 14, 2009.

1. darkhrse99

I drive my mustang about 500 miles a year max and I'm curious to know how much you change your oil on such low driven miles per year?

2. 99TTGT

Re: How often do you change your oil on your weekend warrior/race car?

1 time every 2 months, I use non synthetic 10w30

3. crawlinturbonotch

Once every 3 trips to the track or every 12-15 1/4 mile passes.

4. SprayedSDime

I try to at least start mine once or twice a month if not drive it around town (small town of 900). So, I stick with the rule of thumb every 3 months/3000 miles... More on the 3 months. Reminds me I need to change my oil :doh:

5. allmotor65stang

X2

6. jaredsamurai

As far as I know the 3 month part is based on moisture in the oil that gets there thru crank ventilation. Everytime the sun sets and the temp changes drastically your crankcase takes a big gulp of fresh air. The moisture content will eventually give your oil corrosive properties. I was led to believe that as long as you start your engine and let it run at operating temp for about 1/2 hr every month that it would burn off any moisture and you can ditch the idea of three month oil changes. HTH

7. Disney Lincoln

Gosh.. I feel like a total slacker!!! On my race car, I literally change it about once a year unless I have to open up the motor for any reason other than adjusting valves. Of course, this is 90% track car doing True Street and DR races.

8. brianj5600

I change mine once a year. I use Mobil1 deisel which should do OK since it is designed for turbo applications. I put about 2500 street miles and 100 passes a year.

9. PEARL MUSSIN

I change mine when it starts to smell like gas...

10. 302andsome