1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Do I Need to Run Meth?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Cole, May 20, 2015.

1. Cole

Hey guys,

I am so sick of trying to get a hold of a vendor some replacement parts on my second hand kit that I am thinking of scraping the setup all together. Here is my setup:

72 Chevelle Street Car
    '89 L98 SBC 2 bolt mains, alum heads, 9.6:1 CR, LT4 Hotcam, stock bottom end with 20K miles (about 400hp N/A)
    CSU 750 Carb
    MSD BTM
    Wrenchrat Hot sides with Precision billet wheeled 6176's
    7PSI of boost
    No intercooler

My question is do I really need meth injection for this mild set up? I was originally going to run it to be safe with my stock shortblock but again I am so tired of trying to deal with these guys I give up.
    Thanks for any input!

2. sr47

With that low level of boost, no, but with pump gas being so inconsistent having an intercooler or meth will help.

What kind of kit is it and what do you need?

3. KLeptoLee

I would run the meth just to be on the safe side, as stated above inconsistent octane in pump gas

4. Cole

Sorry guys i just realized there is an actual section for this topic, mods feel free to move this.

I dont want to post the manufactures name after my little rant, but I need the little friction type fitting for the reservoir, and just the 1/4" high temp nylon line. I'm getting it delivered in the next week or two (finally).

I got my car running though and have been half throttle and maybe 5psi... seems to run great. I'll still feel better with the meth though. Have you guys heard of anyone actually melting pistons with 7psi? Granted theyre cast....

5. sr47

It really comes down to the tune, rpm and ring gap. Marty showed us with "The Grenade" that if you keep the rpm down and the octane up you can beat a cast bottom end pretty hard and it live ( he ran race fuel and intercooled his motor, plus he definitely knows how to tune ). 20+psi and nitrous. Read the thread.

6. 70wayfarer

melted #8 piston on the dyno when the water meth quit. 640rwhp, 17psi boost.

P1010687.jpg #ad

7. sr47

Ouch!

Non intercooled setup or intercooled?

8. 70wayfarer

large intercooler. this was blowthrough. rebuilding block and going efi as well. sold the iron heads and got eddy rpm's

9. sr47

Well, looks like you just sold me about going straight to EFI.........:ty:

10. 70wayfarer

the BT carb was a pig to tune. wish i had gone efi from the onset. went MS2

11. sr47

I was on the fence about it, a CSU unit spec'd would bolt on easy and go, but I bumped into a local guy that is an electrical genius at a car picnic yesterday, plus I believe I can get a Dodge Magnum harness to adapt to my Poly easily. Going to go Megasquirt myself.

12. 96lt4c4

Is that an SRP piston? How much timing? AFR?

13. Cole

Just to answer my own question, I've put about 100 hard miles on my car this weekend running the 7psi up to about 5,800rpm and it never skipped a beat. Tuning is very very conservative- taking out 3 whole degrees per lb of boost, and its running pretty rich. Will still fry the tires no problem though :thumbsup:

14. 65ShelbyClone

Doesn't everyone? :biggrin-new:

I've heard of people melting pistons on straight methanol, which is somewhere north of 120 octane. That's the thing; a lean condition is far more likely to melt something than pinging. Pinging can and does cause melting, but it does more to test the strength of your hardware. With your cast pistons, I would be more concerned about knock causing a piston failure and even straight water injection would go a long way to preventing that.