1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 85 Chevy Truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by softballnrd27, Apr 12, 2011.

1. softballnrd27

This is the precusor to my actual build. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and collecting parts for the truck to start on when I get back. I will post some pics if I can, I can't wait to start this build.
    After reading and then reading some more, I think I am getting the jist of this crazy thing called turbocharging. I got 2 books that have helped alot both SA Design; How to Supercharge and Turbocharge GM LS Series and Turbo: Real World High Performance and this forum.
    Vehicle: 85 Chevy Full Size truck 3800lbs(maybe a little lighter when I swap some stuff around)
    Trans: built th400
    Rear: Braced 9" w/Strange Center, Detroit locker, 35 Spline Moser and 3.50 gears
    Usage: 85% street 15% strip(1-2 trips to the strip a month) 28" tall tire(DR for strip) will keep it under 6800 rpm. I want it to be reliable so I am not looking for 100% max effort. I would like to see between 6-800 rwhp and be able to run in the low 11s/high 10s
    Ok here is my parts list for my turbo build:
    2004 LQ4 6.0l Iron Block 4.030" bore
    AES 390" Stroker kit 3.825" stroke, 6.125" rods, 4.030" CP piston -13cc, roughly 9.2:1cr
    Pat G spec'd cam
    317 heads(unported will upgrade to AFR later on)
    Edelbrock Vic Jr w/6061.com elbow 92mm TB
    I will be using the truck manifolds to build the turbo system.
    Turbonetics tc78 turbo
    TurboSmart 50mm wastegate
    TIAL BOV 50mm BOV
    I am thinking 2.5" hot side tubing and 3" cold side(too big?)
    I will run it through an intercooler(I will have to measure the location to find out what size I can go with) and I going to run run meth inj for the strip.
    For the fuel system I will already have a fuel cell with aeromotive pump, regulator and filters. The motor will be run N/A until I gather all the parts for the turbo.
    I want to run 8-10lbs on the street and then turn it up to 15lbs on the strip. I will probably run the BigStuff3 stand alone engine management.

2. softballnrd27

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. Traction Issuez

Not seeing any pics. I have a 81 with a 5.3 and 4l60e. Why the desire to go with the victor intake? Give the stock truck or even an LS6 intake a try, they're quite capable. Have you ever driven on a detroit locker?

I did some very rough numbers on your combo. At 390 cubic inches running to 6800 rpm and with that TC78 putting out a max of 95lb/min you're going to only be able to make about 11 psi. Now bear in mind that's still 95 lb/minute but while I wasn't able to find a compressor map for that turbo it will likely be at the very bottom and all the way to right. Might want to re-evaluate before dropping that crazy cash on that turbo.

The intake manifold inlet is like 4" and the discharge of the turbo will probably be something like 3" so it will be fine.

Just run methanol, there isn't a shit ton of room between the grill and the radiator and down low it's fairly blocked by the bumper. Then if you try to move the radiator back it gives you less room for piping. Just run methanol and if it becomes a problem then put in an intercooler.

4. softballnrd27

To be honest, I like the way the Vic Jr looks with an elbow and I know they will perform as well. I have continued to research and have found that turbo is on the smaller side of what I would need. I am leaning towrds a ST80 now bc that will give me some room to grow. I have daily driven a couple of vehicles with a Detroit and they weren't really that bad once you know the manners. This truck won't see too much wet weather.
    As far as pictures i am very limited on where I can post pics from and I can only see the pics from an album on another forum.

5. Traction Issuez

Sounds like it's going to be fun. I will caution you that the frame on these trucks is extremely weak and you'll need to put a great deal of effort into boxing and supporting the frame or else it will fold for you

6. watahyahknow

for some reason i keep thinking of scooter out of the oooooold tv series mash who was sending a army jeep home to his family in little parts , made me laugh

7. softballnrd27

Yeah I have plans to add some strength to the frame.

Spring Texas huh, I am orginally from Magnolia, used to live in Spring right off of 2920.

8. Traction Issuez

Small world