1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How much power could I make with a Weiand blower?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by mikej, Mar 7, 2009.

1. mikej

Right now my El Camino has a 1973 350 2-barrel engine that is basically stock except for a free-flowing dual exhaust system and glass packs. I know that 2-barrel heads don't flow as well as performance heads, but how much power do you think the engine would make with a 144cid Weiand mini blower running 5psi boost, a 750 Holley, and an upgraded ignition? The blower is supposed to make 400-450hp on a mild 350, but I'm sure they're talking about a ZZ4 or Vortec 350 by "mild". I'm on a budget and can't afford a heads + cam swap right now. This is an 8.5-1 compression motor so it should be able to handle this boost easily with a 750 Holley, a good ignition, and running rich. Do you think I could make about 325hp/425tq with this setup? I think the 2-barrel heads are good for torque production.

Also, what high cc heads would you put on this setup that flow well for 425-450hp or so? High cc heads are pretty much needed for a blower to achieve a low compression ratio but most performance heads are around 64cc, which is too high.

Thanks for your input! Any tips for building a mini-blown SBC?

2. Bad Medicine Racing

I ran a 144 on a 406 with an all stock rotating assembly. It was in the 400ish HP range. I really liked the little blower, instant response GREAT driveability. I will say that it will not dissapoint you. Just remember that boost is just a measure of restriction, with a blower you might be making 8psi with your stock heads and if you swap to a set of AFRs for example, you might only make 5psi on your gauge but you will be making more power. Those little blowers like that are intended to be put on stock heads for the most part anyway so the intake ports on the manifold are VERY conservitave. Throw in on those stock heads and have fun, I promise you will love it. BTW a 4" lift off cowl hood will cover it up on that G body elky, even with the correct 4" drop base air cleaner.