1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How much power can a stock 8.8 trac loc axle take

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by rhyno9, Nov 18, 2005.

1. rhyno9

I have a 3.08 tracloc 8.8 inch rear available to me. The rear has been converted to 5 lugs using aerostar axles. Currently I am going to be running sticky street tires with the possiblity of drag radials for the 6-10 times per year that I will go to the strip. The car is stick shift and I am planning on 500 ish hp and 500 ish ft lbs.

Will that rear be able to take the abuse? If not what could/should I do to upgrade it so that it can?

Thanks
    RV

2. Turbo_Baer

well i am making over 625 rwhp and i went to the track a few weeks ago. made some passes on DR and they were fine... did a few passes on sticky Hoosiers :D it survived two 5k launchs off motor (no 2step) and it finially let lose on the third 6k launch. snapped the passenger axle and bent all 4 lugs on the drivers side :chacha: stock rear with 3.55's. tonite i actually got my 31 spline truck diff and moser axles in. feels good so far, allthough its 20* out and it blows the nittos off laying into it in 4th ;)

id go and snoop around some to see who's got what and likes it.

3. yan88gt

It will depend on how hard you launch, the weight of your car, tires and other stuff. With 3.08 gear, it will be harder to move your car and will be harder on parts! I broke three 28 spline axle N/A with 286 rwhp doing 5800rpm launch. If your tires are spining your rear axle will live a long time but you will get sick of being beat by cars with half your HP. 31 spline tracloc can take lot's of abuse. Just my 2 cents!

4. Disney Lincoln

I broke the spider gears in mine with about 500twhp and MOser axles. Stripped all the teeth from the spider and side gears.

5. autosay97

My car has about 400 rwhp and I have had no problems out of mine even after 180,000 miles! Your best bet though is to do like turbo_baer and get the truck diff with 31 splines, that is an excellent diff.

My buddy destroyed his 28 spline diff when he wheelhopped during a pass, his car only had about 300 fwhp. We replaced it with the truck diff and strange 31 splines. I watched him spin in second on the street while racing a big block chevy truck, his driver's side rear tire got off the road and even with the driver's side tire on the dirt the passenger side was still spinning on the pavement :eek:.