1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Garrett GT42R oil feed

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by drag lc, Dec 28, 2010.

1. drag lc

Hi,

could anyone help me out i have just built a 6cyl engine and it is going to be fitted with a garrett gt42r do i need to restrict the oil feed to it at all? i see in the turbo oil inlet it has a little threaded part to screw an oriface in to??

any help would be great

Cheers Hayden

2. wantabe

where did you buy it from ? shop ?

3. drag lc

MTQ in Rocky

4. wantabe

you got roberts ph number?
    we can soon find out what he wants put in there ?

5. drag lc

nah not anymore,

it was brought from him new about 2/3 years ago and has never been used yet.hehehe

6. wantabe

you not overly excessive oil pressure ??
    if not, you could put a "turbonetics'' filter / screen in there...same as what i use.
    keeps all the 'rocks' out, and lifts the oil inlet up abit to be able to be rotated around

7. drag lc

arh not really should be around 75/80psi when wot hot.

i see a few cars run those things didnt know they were filters is that cause the filtered eng oil is not clean enough?????.

8. wantabe

yeep, is a metal screen... it just comes with turbonetics stuff from new.
    your oil pressure is ok. i run 75/80 @ idle 8)

9. ProVK

On my BB T51R Garrett i run a 1.0mm restrictor, its a speedflow item that fits in the male -4 fitting then the hose end screws on and holds it. Been in there for years and has no issues with bearings on the turbo.

10. wantabe

guys,
    inside the turbo is oil drillings from the oil inlet, to both bearings..
    it if ever get to have a look inside a turbo, both ball bearing and sleeve, it will be quite clear
    alot of the problems , come from other issues..

the garrett stuff on dozers etc, have a 1/2 inch oil tube feeding the bearings, @ 50 to 80 psi
    they never play up, unless the turbo is worn out

11. Mnlx

Mack has run Schwitzer, and BW s3& 400's with -8 feeds (same 50-80psi) for years. they run for hundreds of thousands of miles without failures, running at 20-30 psi manifold pressure for a large portion of those miles..... and when they do fail, most of the time, its the compressor wheel that fails. Same with the Garretts on the Caterpillars.