1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need some advice on what to change- Need to go faster.

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by FourEyed, Aug 25, 2010.

1. FourEyed

To start, here is my setup right now: -Sorry for the long post!

86 Mustang Notch Mini tubbed, 10pt cage, tube k, coilovers etc'¦
    Boss based 331 block
    SCAT 4340 internals w/ srp pistons
    9:0:1 compression
    Stock Vic Jr. heads
    Custom cam .537 lift 281/281 duration 114 lobe sep.
    Super Victor intake
    CSU 750 carb
    Turbonetics T-76 .96 a/r
    Large A/A intercooler
    Full exhaust
    TH400 trans
    3.08 rear gear. '“ (I want to keep this gearing)
    MSD 7535 box
    AMS500 boost controller

Best Pass to date:

1.41 60'
    1/8 ET '“ 6.08
    1/8 MPH - 116.32
    1/4 ET -9.46
    1/4 MPH -144.00

So far this car has been driven to work 3 days a week 40 min one way. It has been dead reliable, and quiet. I don't want to lose the streetability, but as always, I want to go faster. I would love to get this car into the 8's, and still street drive the hell out of it. Right now, I run 93 pump, and turn the boost down to about 14 just to drive around. I swap for race gas at the track, and turn it to ~20psi to run the 9.46. I know it has a couple more tenths in it, but that's about it.

I am just looking for opinions on what would be the most cost-effective way to achieve my goal of an 8 second pass. I don't want to spend thousands more on the car, and I don't want to completely change everything and make a big project out of it. I am not looking to go any faster than a 8.50 et, That's all the chassis is good for. I was thinking of a few options.

#1 '“ Swap the current turbo for a larger T-4 frame turbo and just run more boost. (st80, s400?)
    #2 '“ Port the heads, go to a solid roller cam, and spin the motor higher, with the same turbo. (only spinning to 6500 now)
    #3 '“ Make a new kit with a T-6 frame turbo, keeping the same cam and hyd roller setup.

2. yellowpony

Well, I think option 1 would be the easiest to go with. I think forced inductions has a 91mm t4 framed turbo now, or switch to an 88mm unit. That's should get you the 8's you are looking for. You can haul ass with either of those turbos! I would definitely call one of the site sponsors here and ask their advice before I bought a new unit, I am sure they can spec one out to meet your needs.

Anthony

3. FourEyed

I was just looking on their website, I didn't know anyone made a T4 91mm. Thats badass, but I think it might be a bit big for what I am trying to do. I am leaning towards a T4 88mm. I would just have to modify the downpipe, and maybe go to a larger wastegate (I have a 44mm now).

4. mayer5oh

maybe an exhaust cutout or just a different downpipe for the track, so you could switch to an open downpipe if you want. especially if youre running tailpipes and all. and im one for loving my quiet street car but hey, if i were that close to the 8s id try it! also whats the car weigh? could you ditch weight anywhere else?

5. FourEyed

I have tried with just an open downpipe, but it didn't make a difference. Next time I go to the track I will try to go 22-23psi and see where I end up. I know people have gone 8's with this combo, but I don't want to put it on the ragged edge to do it. I could probably ditch another 75 lbs if I really tried, but that's about it.

6. mayer5oh

my notch is light... around 2950 with a full tank of gas with me in it. but i dont have any creature comforts besides power windows and a radio. but i also have 17x9 cobra wheels. im planning to switch to a pair of kirkey aluminum drag seats and skinnies on the front to drop another 100lbs or so. but thats what i want to do to hit the 9s, altho im probably going to have to swap in an auto to do so.

7. Gen1SVE

I would swap the turbo, yes at least the 88mm. If you have a brake/ two step to launch the car as well as you are now, you will be all set. I have a gt47-88 on the street with an e-cam, old preformer headed 351. Even though you are 20ci smaller i bet your motor will spool the 88mm better than my 351 due to the cam and larger heads. Just jet up as you will be flowing more air with the larger turbo.

8. 73maro511TT

1. turn it up a little more.

2. Have the heads ported and have a nice street oriented solid roller spec'd for it ( have an 88 mm turbo in mind)

3. upgrade to an 88mm or that new 91mm T4 from FI.

9. FourEyed

Who can I get in touch with on here from Forced Inductions?

10. TTFBDY

Sponser board, sponser classifieds, scroll down to FI board....