1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How important is it to balance a turbo after installing new/heavier compressor wheel?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by smokehouse, Oct 20, 2014.

1. smokehouse

I have acouple 58mm Garrett GT3782va's off of a 6.0powerstroke engine that I am gonna use to build a twin setup or maybe a single. I also have some 68mm wheels from some gt4094r turbos. I am wondering if I grab acouple gt40 style compressor covers that are made for the 68mm wheel if I could just bolt the wheel and compressor on without having the assembly balanced? The turbo's where 100 bucks apiece, the wheels were 30 apiece, and a gt40 compressor housings are right at 275 apiece. So I am around 400 bucks a turbo, I am not destroying something invaluable here.

2. Jeremy

Re: How important is it to balance a turbo after installing new/heavier compressor wh

Screw it, do it.

3. Mnlx

Re: How important is it to balance a turbo after installing new/heavier compressor wh

At 400 apiece i'd balance them.... if they were cheap China turbos, I may not. If they come apart it could cost you 550 in comp housings.

4. Jeremy

$400 a piece is cheap...

You dont want to know how much mine were then lol

5. Mnlx

I understand that they're not high buck turbos, but why risk 800 for 150... if you want to give away money I can use some... lol

6. notlowyet

I would get them high speed balanced as well, if something blows and gets into the motor, then you have even more problems

7. Chuck L

Or an engine, should the wheel parts end up on top of a piston........

8. Bladetwister

Balanced rotating parts will always out spool unbalanced rotating parts period.

9. smokehouse

Why cant you use the 68/94mm compressor wheel with the gt35/37 66/72mm turbine? I know of the gt40 turbine wheel upgrade, but that brings the turbo's up into high dollar territory and they are junkyard 100 dollar turbo's. The wheels I bought say they are Factory prebalanced so I wouldn't think they wouldn't be too far off. Hell I might just run them with the stock 58mm wheels, I imagine they will still make a shit load of power in stock trim and spool quick with a .4 something .ar housing. I am gonna use either a hobbs switch or a throttle switch to control them, I was thinking if I put a throttle switch on the clutch pedal and have it close the vanes every time I push in the clutch it would work pretty decently. The worst part about these things is the oil drain and feed, guess I have to order the drain tubes from Ford and braze them onto the center section and tap the inlet for a fitting.