1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How hot does everyones car run?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ConradS, Aug 14, 2005.

1. ConradS

Mine on the highway runs about 195 degrees and in stop/go/crawl traffic where is not a lot of airflow going thru the radiator it creeps up to 210 degrees. This is also in the sticky Georgia heat. Where do turbo cars make the most power at and is this an ok temperature? It doesn't seem to go over that and once i start moving again it will start creeping back down.

I'm running a big 2 core Summit radiator and 93 lincoln mark 8 fan with a DCC fan controller set at 180 degrees. I have a ton of heat in the engine compartment and i think it really taxes the cooling system in stop/go traffic. I can't wait for some cooler weather.

2. PEARL MUSSIN

With my SN95 fan, 3 core Brass radiator, DC controller, 160 therm, my car ran around 195-210.. A little too hot for me so I am re-doing the cooling system (did away with the DC controller, getting alum radiator, new dual focus fan)

Jeremy

3. ronlp

With a 160 stat, stock SN95 cooling system (radiator is garbage), and the lower hose relocated away from the crossover, I'm seeing between 185-195 when it's 80-90 & ~70% humidity here, but I had to mess with the fan settings in the AEM a lot to get it down that low, so I'm still not comfortable with it. Once I get the car re-tuned for AZ and save up a few bucks, I'm gonna check into one of those hawt, blingin' Ron Davis radiators with the custom shroud and SPAL fans.

4. INTMD8

(camaro)

With the a/c off, 180, rock solid.

190-200 with the a/c on.

5. turbod88

on a hot day 185 deg. with alumin radiator and mr gasket 16" fan and 160 temp thermostat

6. ziptie007

about 180 cruising and 190 or so stop and go

7. Mikes88Stang

Griffen Alum Rad. 180 stat (one 1/8'' hole drilled in it) Mark VIII fan w/ DC Controller. 190-195 (di water and water wetter)

I am switching to a 160 deg stat with a few holes in it soon. Its been hot here tho ~90+ deg with 60+ humidity.

8. Snipe656

I'd be curious how that goes. I have done experiments with 160 and 180 t-stats and no other changes to the car. With the 160 I could always get cooler cruising down the road temps. But when I got into stop/go traffic the 160 would always run hotter than a 180 would get to. Always contributed to the 160 not ever letting the cooling system cycle correctly. I am curious though if drilling holes, why even bother with a t-stat? Why not just get a spacer?

9. NYstanger

griffin aluminum 31x19 radiator, 180 thermostat, 90% water, and underdrive water pump pulley I've been seeing about 175 cruising and 185 stop and go.

10. dman

there is really nothing wrong with 190*-210*, as long as your intakes temps are decent.

11. ConradS

yeah,i'm running about a 60/40 mix of coolant/water...probably need to lessen it a bit.

12. 95silverstallion

I'm trying to figure out what you guys mean by "my car runs about 180*" or " its safe between 180-210*" My car runs between M and A. :D Get it-N O R M A L. Stock gauge.
    While you're here what temp is the M approximately?

Brian

13. ronlp

Lol, that was the first gauge I replaced. I don't like interpreting temperature by letters. ;)

Although, I don't have it much easier now since my gauges are all metric and I constantly have to convert stuff. I just have the 'limits' memorized for now as I improve my metric skillz. :loll: When I see anything above 90 I start getting nervous.

14. Ackbar00

EDIT:

My Temp guage stays burried in the cold all the time. Sits just above the 130 Mark all the time When it gets really hot, it moves up a mark. I guess that is 170 or so??? Hell, most of the time, I will turn off the fan on the highway.

160 T-stat
    FMS radiator
    Underdrive Water Pump Pully on Stock Pump
    Flex-a-lite Dual 12" fans
    50/50 water - Antifreeze

15. 306HO5

my stang with motorsport aluminum rad,160 tstat,93 cobra r waterpump pulley,50-50 used to run in the n on normal range as well.thought man this system is great.installed my turbo kit went to have it tuned and couldnt get it to run right.turns out when i put my engine in my car i put the air temp sensor and the coolant temp sender in the wrong locations (IDIOT!!!) now it runs just under halfway on the gauge with everything hooked up correctly .oh ya got it tuned to.

16. fast4d

my car runs a bit cooler since I advanced the timing at idle and light throttle.

17. Hotrod406

Mine runs around 205 if it is hot out like it has been this summer. It's about 185 when it is nice out (75-80). 26x19 aluminum rad, dual 12 inch flexilte fans on a custom polished shroud.

I would not worry about it until it gets over 220.

18. FastAOD

Im running a stock Ford radiator, Mark 8 fan, and 180* therm,...Car runs consistently in the 180-185 range....In Phx AZ.

19. botietr

Alot of people think if they run a 160 stat that the car shouldnt run above that..that only means it opens earlier then a 180.if your car runs at 200 or whatever then it doesnt matter if u have a 160 or a 180 in it.its going to run at whatever your cooling system is up to.so if its running to hot for your liking then just changing the thermostat isnt going to do much,the overall cooling system needs work.

20. fast4d

if you're borderline it'll help since a 180 F stat will START to open at 180. At that temp the 160 will be fully open. it's a bandaid not a solution.