1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How far can you push the 5.3?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by 89RStroker, Dec 1, 2010.

1. 89RStroker

Just trying to see how much boost some have gone on these, one i read peaked 18 on a 4.8, so that seems great, i will be single on a 5.3 soon with ARP head bolts and 317s, stock MLD gaskets, i want to know if there are any freaks that have pushed 20+ on these little 4 bolt per slug motors, it will be fun with 16 and i am sure in the tune you can get things right, but i will be going through trial and error as this is my first turbo build.

I usually run the bottle, but refilling them is something i want to be a thing of the past.

2. quik67

I have pushed my 5.3 to 21 psi ( by accident ) this was with 18 degrees timing with no inter-cooler or meth injection. the afr was @ 11.5 with 93 octane fuel.
    I am also using 317 heads, and a pretty large cam .603/.609 237/242 113 lsa . I have beat on it for the last three months with 15 psi and so far no problems. I hope this helps

3. 89RStroker

Excellent, so the accident did not push water? Any thought on an attempt to push it back that high again?

Not track or dyno numbers yet i assume? I love the fact the engines are so cheap, so if i destroy one learning or just pushing it over the top, another will be dropped in nearly immediately for next to nothing.

And DAMN that is a huge ass cam for a small motor on boost, good to see it works well evidently, what turbo are you running? Carbed or EFI?

4. IT_SS

5. slow67

What were your IATs at 21 psi and no intercooler?

6. quik67

No I haven't pushed water yet. I plan on seeing what it will do at the track in early spring. For now I will stay with 15 psi, until I can get my methanol injection. I have raced a FZR 600 at a 20 mph roll, once I got into high gear I came around him pretty easily. spun like crazy in first and second. This was in a 1/4 mile we have marked off.
    I am using the factory truck intake, throttle body and fuel rails, I am using 52 lb injectors and a Megasquirt ECM . Yeah thats cool about these engines, I can go down to the salvage yard and get one for $250.00
    The cam is a MS3 from Texas Speed that a buddy gave me, I thought I would give it a try before ordering a turbo grind, very happy with it.

7. quik67

8. slow67

9. quik67

Thanks! When it was strictly a drag car I put fiberglass doors on it, the only way they are available is in 68' styling. I am on the look out for steel ones so I can put the original windows and such back in it.

10. 89RStroker

Yea, 600s arent shit, i am sure you made him look slow, i eat them all motor with the 6.0.

Well, i guess my ultimate goal will be 5.99 in the 1/8th mile. So, only time will tell.

11. quik67

Yeah... I didn't really want to race him but he wouldn't shut up about it. It was fun but not much of a challenge.
    5.99 will be tough, but I really think with the right converter and gearing these little motors can be surprising.

12. atomicsix

On my run at KCIR with the Fairmont "Parish's mid 9" the 1/8 th mile was 5.99@ 114.xx That day I also ran three other 6.0x runs hitting the brakes after the 1/8th to stay out of trouble , before we ran it out for the 9.49

The 6.11 run was at our local 1/8th mile track, That was the day the track manager drove over to our pit and came unglued on me for running that quick at his track with no NHRA licence, and no cage.

13. 89RStroker

LOL, should have told him to just get over it.

I will be happy with low 6s, but i have to set goals a bit higher to make sure i get what i will settle for.

Dont know what the 86 TA will weigh with the turbo and piping, i know it is not going to be as light as i wish.

14. slow67

:cheers: Wow, you pushed that little MPT70 for all its worth!

BTW have you tried Jake's Tbrake yet?

15. atomicsix

I haven't even put the trans back in the Wagon yet, and Jim is doing a big upgrade on his garage(where the wagon is at) so I took on a project doing a twin turbo system on a 65 malibu at my shop.

The MP70 was "all done" at a 1000' that is why the quarter mile MPH is off for time it ran, and why the car didn't do a 9.3 like the 1/8th mile time would have indicated.
    The D.A. on that day was -200, it was cold out, but the track was holding the 1.3x sixties, so it was the best possible day to try that.

16. SSZ

What do those fairmonts weigh? this is encouraging as i just plopped a 5.3 in my camaro. Good to see they can live steady with 15 pounds.

17. atomicsix

This one weighed 3150 with me in it and fuel. I'm about 190 lbs.

18. 89RStroker

That is absolutely perfect, if i can go mid 9s with my 86 TA with a 5.3, great. It is a 50/50 car, half street and half track.

19. danbap

how much boost where you leaving with? very nice car! give me hope for mine working on getting a trans brake i trap a little higher but its very lazy leaving the line now.

20. plowboy

What would good rods and pistons handle? Staying stock cubes. Something about staying stock cid appeals to me. More beef around the cylds. And no unnecessary machine work.