1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How does this wastegate placement look?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by westcoastwrenchin, Oct 7, 2018.

1. westcoastwrenchin

Hi all

How is this wastegate placement? Im running a 7875 on a 6.0 lq4. The 2.25in merges directly into my t4 flange. I dont have a lot of room so Im resorting to monting my wg perpendicular the the axis of the pipe and not totally in line with the pipe. Do you guys think this will do for a 600ish whp setup or will it bite me.

20181007_155527.jpg #ad

2. 91turboterror

It’s not optimal but it should work alright.If you were running low boost numbers it might have a problem keeping the boost where you set it.

3. Disney Lincoln

I just did a truck with a set up that looks better than that, and it doesn't hold and will have to be re-done. So i'd say no on that one. Can you do two gates? One on each pipe?

turbofreek likes this.
  4. Mnlx

Is that a 44mm? Im with disney on this, if you want to run less than say 15 psi i think you should run 2 in better locations, or run some tubing from both banks at a better angle into the single gate.

5. fastspec2

+1

6. westcoastwrenchin

Thanks guys, thats a 44mm and im hoping for 10psi. I finished the merge today and am going to be able to get the gate about 20 degrees off vertical so it will be better than it looks at the moment.

7. westcoastwrenchin

Heres what Im thinking now. I may be able to get the gate underneath if i reclock my turbo, what do you guys think (1st pic)? Other option is the angle as shown on the second photo placing the gate close to the housing. 20181008_154445.jpg #ad
    20181008_154516.jpg #ad

8. westcoastwrenchin

Heres the approx turbo location in the engine bay.

20181003_190838.jpg #ad

9. westcoastwrenchin

Well upon more looking into this the only position I can really put the gate in is the second photo I posted above, with the gate angled and getting quite close to the turbine housing. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I really am up in the air about this whole thing, I've seen people with worse placement work but at the same time I don't want to have to do this twice! Thanks for all the help!

One other option that I've seen done lots but looks odd is if I were to put the wastegate on my crossover, effectively only venting one manifold. I could get the wastegate in the ideal position if I go this route, but will venting only one side be enough? It seems like everyone and there dog does this and it would actually be really easy for me to fit!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  10. Briansshop

How about 2 gates? One on each side. I had one being fed by both banks and had issues, went with 2 and better priority and 1 7/8 tubing and can hold it down to 6psi now.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

11. westcoastwrenchin

Looks really good Brian thanks. What Im thinking now is to run the two pipes to my merge collector parallel for a good 8in or so and then run my wg connected to both, I think that should do it!

12. turbofreek

it isnt the location persay but more gate angle to be the issue.

13. Briansshop

Yes, westcoast,look at how the pipes feeding the gates on mine come off of the outside of bends where flow is high and will favor exhaust going through the open gate as opposed to continuing up to the turbo.

turbofreek likes this.
  14. sam51

I'm using a spacer that has a built in port for the gate between the merge and the turbo, it has the blue rag in it in hte pic, its from SPA if you have the vertical room for it you should look into that if you want to run 1 gate. I can't say how well it works yet as i'm still in the process of building my system, but its an option floating around out there.

IMG_0710.jpg #ad

15. westcoastwrenchin

Well Ive decided that its going to be a lot cheaper to run a second wastegate than boost creep haha thanks for all the help!

16. turbofreek

still the angle of the gate will make or break how well it works to control boost and creep.
    fwiw i ran a single 38mm tial on a high comp 306 and little mp70 turbo and no creep at 6psi when everyone was getting creep to 8-10psi with similar setups.
    placement is a huge factor in how well the gates work.

ps. i also only vented that 38mm on a single side of the exhaust in the cross over to the turbo.

17. Mnlx

Angle is one of many of factors. Drive pressure, and how it's dumped is a big one as well. The bigger the pressure differential between pre, and post turbo, the more a given gate will vent.

turbofreek likes this.
  18. Mnlx

If in doubt, run a single on the crossover, but have a plan to run a second if boost creeps.

turbofreek likes this.
  19. malibuguy

I did some goofy stuff on my old build and it worked pretty well. Granted I was semi-trying to do things "wrong" just to see what it would do. Held all my boost levels very well thru an old 38 tial. However I was only making 300-odd HP thru a baby 267sbc

Its hard to see, but its 2 pipes into 1 for the WG (i should of took a better picture when I built it)
    [​IMG]#ad

The set up on my budget built tercel
    [​IMG]#ad

Heres one I did on a single turbo G8
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Big turbo drag camaro LS with truck manifolds I did about a year ago.
    [​IMG]#ad

Hopefully these inspire some creativity. Theres "ideal" then there is "make it happen" which I get alot of. Like the camaro really should of had twin smaller gates, but he was dead set of using that big single gate. In the end every set up works really well

20. turbofreek

good idea post a pic to show wg placement. 20yrs ago tbis was my 38mm single gate v8 no creep setup.

[​IMG]#ad