1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How does CFM relate to intercooler efficiency?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Josh, May 8, 2003.

1. Josh

How much CFM would I need for an intercooler that is built for 1000hp?

2. TwinTurboStrokr

3. Josh

Thanks for the link.

Wow, I was shopping on Bell Intercoolers site and according to that number I'd need a bigger core than I thought. Plus expensive.

4. 408@TwinT-72

wonder how many cfm mine flows?? wonder if cartech has a link for it. Jim said he bought the turbos with that kit, hope they gave him the correct sized ic

5. TwinTrouble

For $600. you could get 2 incon cores and weld them together, it would be kind of like the Cartech 6 core. But that would probably be way to big, especially for a show car like yours.

6. niceguynick50

1500 CFM = 1000hp ....that's probably with zero pressure drop, but a good figure to go by. For instance, the stock supra tt intercoolers flow 493 cfm whick would be able to support 329 HP using that formula, but there are guys puting over 500HP to the wheels with them. Granted at that level they are probably far from efficient.

7. TwinTurboStrokr

Spearco flows their cores @ 1.5 psi drop..

8. Jimmy

PM turbostangman on the board here.....he can do intercoolers with any endtanks you want for a really good price, at least imo

i still dont have the money yet but when i do i plan to use him

9. 86lx351

408@TwinT-72 Your intercooler assuming your using the cartech twin intercooler. Flows 1280 CFM roughly in the ballpark of 100 lbs. of air. At least that's what cartech had listed about it at one piont in time (the cfm figure).

10. Josh

Thanks for the tip on Turbomustangman.

11. NDSP

You can have a smaller intercooler if you go water to air. Size wise at least. That is what I'm doing for my JYTT set up. I think I'm going to try mig ing it up.

12. Josh

I think a water/air would be great if you were strictly on the track. But far a street car I think you could do much better with a air/air.

13. NDSP

I'll be trying to use a water to air on the street. See what happens. If I can successfully make my own. Maybe I'll make an air to air and a water to air. Swap em out when I need to. :D Wishful thinking.

14. Josh

It's not that they don't work I am just not convinced that they are as efficient in an extented operation. Ford would disagree with me, ie the Lightning and Cobra.