1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How do you KNOW your blowing through converter?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by steve beckley, Jun 27, 2005.

1. steve beckley

Trying to figure out if I'm really going through the converter or if there is another problem.
    Stalls at 2100rpm car weighs 3200 w/driver running 20lb boost HP stage 1 kit H/C/I and I can only run 127mph? Is there anything else that could be wrong. I feel like it should be low - mid 130s.

2. Andrew

I knew on my car when I shifted at 6800 and the revs only dropped down to 6500.

Still ran 127.5 in the 1/8th mile... I wonder how much it would have picked up?

3. steve beckley

So then I should take it out and run it through the gears and if it only drops a few hundred rpm between shifts then that means it's to loose? What should the rpm drop be on a C4 shifting from 2nd to 3rd?

4. turbostang

On truestreet5.8's car we have been battling this problem all season long. Now, that it has a bigger turbo, it will not push through the converter "to bad" with 20 psi or less..but when you turn it up.. damn it gets bad!

If you have FAST or equivelant you can look at the RPM's when it shifts. On a good clean pass the RPM's should drop about 600 rpm's or so. You will see sharp drops on the graph when it shifts. When the coverter/clutches are slipping the line will get nearly straight.

The last time we had his car out - it would hit the shift light in high gear - IN THE 1/8 mile!!!! and it only has 3.27 gears!!!

5. bags50lx

What size tire are you running and what rear gear and at what rpm are you going thru the traps at?

6. kayla

wouldn't the boost drop off too as load decreased?

7. steve beckley

26 ET Street 3.27 gear crossing trap about 6300-6400. Never really looked at the boost gauge crossing trap though to see if it's falling off. The top end to me feels the same as about my 14 psi pump gas tune? With this set up it runs 10.70 at 127, I know 60ft is only 1.6/1,7 but I think something else is wrong.

8. bags50lx

GOT CONVERTER SLIP??? with 3.27 and 26 in tires and a trap rpm around 6300 you should be about 140 if your converter has about 5% slip but with yours it seems to be around 13% slip.