1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How do I fill in larger holes when smoothing engine bay?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by BigTurboNotch, Mar 18, 2008.

1. BigTurboNotch

im smooting my engine bay, i plan on welding the smaller holes shut but dont have a technique/method of filling the larger holes like these...

thanks in advance :D

2. BlownShovel

sheetmetal welded then prepped... when I see the 100000 holes in a fox bay I am damn glad I have my Chebby :D :angel: I never removed all the holes in the several 84-93 stangs I've owned but even the small ones take some time.

Here is GERRY's work
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77001.0

3. Hemann

I would cut out a piece of metal and weld it in the big holes.

The smaller holes I would tape off the front and put JB weld from the back. Very little grinding afterwards. Prep the back by grinding and clean with solvent. Gives the JB weld something good to adhere to.

I welded some of mine until I read a post of someone doing the JB weld. I tried it and it works great. I would have filled more holes if I found out sooner.

4. BigTurboNotch

whats the best way of clamping those pieces when welding them?

how durable is the jb weld, will it crack over time or fall out of the hole?

5. Hemann

I put a piece behind the panel and welded to it as to say. Ground it down. Then bondo. The JB Weld I think will hold up very good if it is applied to a ground piece of metal. That gives it something to adhere to. It is kind of globed on the back. You can't see it very good anyway in the wheel well. If you need more pics let me know.

Here are a couple of pics. The circle is were I filled most of the holes with JB Weld.

Picture 8 (Medium)2.JPG #ad

Picture 39 (Medium).jpg #ad

6. ShaneH

The jb weld will hold forever. Unless there's direct heat from a fire. I've had the same jb welded engine bay for 5 years though and it's held up beautifully. And so much easier to do that then weld those holes. Use the JB Quick Weld, though. It sets up in 5 minutes.

7. botietr

a body shop supply store will have an adhisive called Fusor.its used for bonding panels on cars after a collision without welding..it will never move.you will need a special gun to apply it but some stores will have a loaner gun.

8. ShaneH

I've also used the 3m 8115 panel bonding adhesive to do the same thing. Does Fusor use the same gun? The only thing I don't like about the 8115 is that it takes about 45 minutes to start to set.

9. botietr

Im not sure if it uses the same gun,,they have different speeds of set up time.the fastest one is 20 minutes.ill check today and see if they use the same one.

10. Outlaw5.0

How sandable is it Bruce?.

11. botietr

Bill it is sandable,cause it gets very hard.i wouldnt use it as a filler,but to glue a panel its beter than welding.

12. BigTurboNotch

sounds good guys, i think ill be using the fusor and jb weld. whats the best temperature to do this kind of work in?

13. mustang-junky

I used the 8115 panel bonder, In hind sight if I had know about the JB weld working so good I would have gone that way. The panel bonder is sticky, messy, and expensive($35 plus you need to borrow or buy the gun). Spend a couple bucks and get the JB weld.

Jess

14. Onjacks

Would Panel Bond work well in attaching a fiberglass lower panel to an lx bumper? I dont want to keep the rivets on it?

I'm thinking of buying one like this instead of a complete bumper. $$$

Sorry to hi-jack. :D

pp.jpg #ad

15. DIL

Kent products work grat for jobs like that.They have Kemweld 45 and kemweld EP.Great products.

16. botietr

Hey thats my bumper..lol.
    Well i thought about it but figured id rather not take the chance of running over it at 170+..
    i dzus fastened my friends so he could take it off to jack it up and also to get it in the trailer since his car sits so low.

also another way to do it without seeing how it mounts is glass some studs on the back side.that way its not seen and you dont have to worry about it coming off.

17. Onjacks

How was the Fit/Finish when you got it?

Ive delt with some bad fiberglass parts before. (bumpers. etc.)

Ive heard nothing but good things about that piece.

Alot cheaper than 800+ dollars.

18. botietr

iit fits perfect over the factory side bumper extensions but i wanted to delete them and put it on without them behind it.only thing is when you do that you have to shorten it a little to meet up with the fender cause the side extensions add a little to that space.no problem for me but i own a body shop..someone that doesnt do their own work might want to leave the extensions on.
    overall a great quality piece .i also hade to make the turbo hole in it a it comes solid.

19. Onjacks

Thanks. Now get that car painted. :D

20. botietr

Thats coming soon.within the next few weeks i hope.