1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

hood questions on a 65 mustang

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by allmotor65stang, Nov 14, 2007.

1. allmotor65stang

i have a 347 in my car and the way it sits now with the 2.25 inch hood i have about a quarter of clearance now. im doing a dart 427 with a YSI blower or F-1 blower going with a edelbrock victor jr or funnel web intake.BLOW thru setup with a 1'' space..

should i go with a 3'' or 4'' hood???Where can i get a fiberglass hood??

thanks guys..

2. 66Notch

Id say a 4 incher just to be safe. There are all kinds available. Look at www.up22.com

3. 1966GT350

4. allmotor65stang

yah that looked sweet maybe ill just go with the 4'' just to be safe. :2thumbs:.

5. ricky

i have a 4" on my '68 mustang,tons of room there over my 351c with 3" thick air cleaner,etc am planning on building a 9.5 w with a vortech "igloo" intercooler and i think it will all fit under that 4"..i can post a pic if you would like,Rick

6. allmotor65stang

yes can u post pics :2thumbs:

7. ricky

sure,no problem at all,it would be Tuesday before i can get it out,(it's pouring down rain over here in SETex) and i'll post a few,the hood is really nice,but it is a pin on,which is not my preference..

8. 67blown

I have a 67 with a D3. I had to go to a 6 inch hood. The four inch had to be cut for the disharge pipe to the carb. I was going straight up to the carb though. If you ran around the front to the passenger side, you may have room. However, I only had about a 1/4 inch at the top for clearance.

9. ricky

67blown have any pic's of your setup? the motor and car? sounds nice!

10. allmotor65stang

o man all i know is i dont wanna go with a 6''..lol

11. 67blown

Here is a couple of pics. Yea, the 6 inch is high but it gives me plenty of room for air flow. My problem is I need to put more dzus fastners on, I keep pulling them loose due to the air lift on the front now.

ods_ds_20070615_0300033[1].jpg #ad

12. Turbohwagon

if it were me i would buy the hood last that way you can measure etc.

13. allmotor65stang

well cant really do that cause the car is getting painted first,then my new motor is going in..i just got a 4.75'' hood and a new fiberglass trunk lid also from up22.com..

14. 1966GT350

How is the quality of the gel coat on the up22 stuff? Is the underside of the hood finished or not?

15. allmotor65stang

im not sure i guess i can tell u when i get it..all they told me was it was gel coated im not sure if the underside is gel coated u should try and call them..all i know is i have to wait 4-5weeks now to get the hood..

16. Turbohwagon

i have a UP22 hood on my falcon, the 5" snorkle one for the 64-65 falcon, the topside on mine wasn't gel-coated, just shot with some primer, and some of the underside is finished (Mostly just the outer bracing) and the rest of it is not, the lip on the edge of the snorkle isn't finished and neither is the inside of it, so mine was a little bit rough around the edges i guess you could say.