1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

homemade turbo kit

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by chameleonstang, Oct 1, 2006.

1. chameleonstang

i have put together a setup on my 88 mustang. the fuel system consists or a 255 in tank fuel pump, a vortech fmu and stock injectors. it is speed density and a five speed. whenever the car gets between 2 and 4 pounds of boost it cuts out. any information to help me would be appreciated.

2. kstinson

Go mass-air if you don't want to do much tuning, also larger injectors, and possibly get an in-line fuel pump

3. ziptie007

the 19's even with the fmu might also not be helping out all the way like you would like. but yes switch to mass air 1st. On a side note - When i had my 24's and a fmu my tt notch didnt pull as good or ever close to just running straight 42's with no fmu.

4. Tbird232ci

How do you have your MAP sensor set up? You could easily pop a MAP sensor with boost if its not meant for boost.

5. ralphiejantz

I would seriously consider a switch to MAF or maybe even look into the PMS system I believe you can run a speed density MAP sensor with that, I know theres one for sale in the classifieds for like $400 which is a good price and I wouldnt bother with 24's go with 42lb injectors but you have to either run a MAF or talk to anderson fod motorsports and see if you can run the PMS without a MAF sensor and just a MAP sensor

6. chameleonstang

the map sensor has not been touched. Also what kind of cam should i use to help out my setup. It is a fresh rebuild with stock heads and intake. the turbo is a garrett with an a/r .60 intake and 1.10 exhaust side. thanks.

7. Toma

Most MAP sensors ford used cannot handle boost. My old supercharged car would cut out the same as yours. I installed a pressure relief valve with a checkvalve and a t and it would then work no problem.

An FMU and the above mod would work for mdoerate boost... say under 10 psi. Should you switch to mass air? depends on your ultimate goals. Tweecer now has pretty well full support of SD cars, and you can go a long way with it NA.... its the higher boost that becomes the problem.

8. chameleonstang

where would you install the preessure relief valve and t at?

9. Toma

Into the line that goes to your map sensor. YOu want it to read vacuum, but not boost. A real simple setup would be one of those t fittings with real small hole into the t (on the engine side), then snip the outlet bigger to the t venting to atmospehere. On this one, install your one way check valve.... so that it will "blow" but not suck.

Watch the boost.... if she is heading over 10, get out of it, as the FMU probably wont be enough. I ran about 7.5 psi, and it survived fine.

10. notched306

speed density sucks ass

11. chameleonstang

what should i set the timing at. what would be a good size intercooler for less than 10 pounds of boost?

12. ralphiejantz

why
    just about all aftermarket fuel injection setups that run boost are speed density

13. chameleonstang

in another post i asked what cam i should use and someone said an f303. i was looking on summit and they say it wont work with speed density. can i make it work or do i need to go with mass air?

14. 4-71/z-28

ive heard that 4-5 psi is all you can get away with SD anyway, thats no fun :( normally i would say, well at least 4-5 psi is safe, but not with stock injectors and fmu.

15. lemons

Standalone speed density rocks. Most OEm's speed density is made for emission's and econmy in mind. Poeple like MAF b.c it adapts to changes in VE better then speed density. But if you go standalone it doesnt matter which way you go anyway. You can go as far as the MAP sensor will allow in standalone speed density systems, and even some reprogramed OEM ecu's.

IMO FMU's are not the proper way to do a turbo system. The proper way IMO is to go standalone (like MegaSquirt) and stay away from FMU's. I've seen so many turbo cars that could have performed alot better with a proper fuel management setup. With standalone you get better economy is most cases, better driveability and more power, plus you get braggin rights.

16. BOSs5.0

I had to eat crowe on a post quite awhile ago because I was totally convinced there was no way in hell of making the Ford SD system on the mustangs worth a shit. Well a guy came in and posted the entire article from an early 5.0 magazine where they took twin 2.3L t-3's and stock SD mustang into the 10's. They had to do the FMU and inline check valve, but that was pretty much it.

17. 5.8 Bandit

How about a link. I would be interested in just reading about it.

18. 034v

i remember that article.. it was called "junkyard twin turbo" all for under 1K bucks..

i know a few SD lincoln guys running decent with forced induction, even seen some of them run as high as 30# injectors without issue or tuner.

19. 5.8 Bandit

I would like to see this work myself. I personally hate having to deal with mass air meters.
    But I kinda got away from Fi anyways " Blow thru ROCKS" and love it on my Bad ass car. But I am soon to add a sd car to my collection and may run some light boost on it and leave this one as stock as I can stand it. :angel: how about a link?

20. BOSs5.0

there is no link with info.. the pics he posted got wiped out by the site update. Maybe someone else has them.