1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Home made (read cheap) 88' coupe BBF + TV8101 *video added

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by jdscarnut, Jan 5, 2011.

1. jdscarnut

1988 Mustang Coupe

Long 5+ year project on the road on and off over those 5 years. I am getting close enough to post on here and ask for any suggestions.

10pt Cage w/SFC
    griggs HD torque arm
    mini tube rear
    Custom (read home made) SLA front susupension
    wilwood 6 piston road race front, 4 piston rear
    19x13 rear 355/25/19 ,19x11 front 305/25/19
    460 with intake and cam
    C6 with 10 inch converter
    relocated radiator
    TV8101 + Blow through 750 holley

e2.png #ad

e1.png #ad

2. jdscarnut

Re: Home made (read cheap) 88' coupe BBF + TV8101

I could use some feedback on DP location. I was thinking out the front fender...this will be a street car though.

3. chrisb76

i like this build.I'd run the down pipe right down from the turbo.I'd build a flow thru muffler,and face it at the ground like right inside the tire the turbo will act as a muffler.

4. jdscarnut

Update: radiator and fan in place and cooling system almost done.

DSC_0907.JPG #ad

DSC_0908.JPG #ad

5. Big_Ed

Are you going to raise the filler neck of the radiator? Or have a filling point at the top of the engine to avoid air bubbles and cavitation?

6. Wallace

Would love to see pics of your SLA front suspension.

7. jdscarnut

It has a surge tank at the top of the firewall, and I am bleeding air/coolant into it from the t-stat housing and at the top of the radiator (because the radiator is not the high point). I will be be pulling air in for the radiator at the front of the bumper instead of at the bottom. I will be tunneling the air out through the hood just in front of the distributor. All of this is in the name of front end stability at high speeds.

I will get some pics of the SLA once I roll it out to start cutting on the rear for the ATL cell.

Still trying to figure out the exhuast situation. I am thinking of trying to hide it out the front fender (going to be a street car) so that A) I don't get pulled over or ticket, and B) so that if something craps out I don't get oil/debris under the front tire. Any feedback?

8. Big_Ed

if you can, go BEHIND the front tire instead of in front of it... otherwise its a crapshoot im ny opinion.

9. 9050

Come on man, give us some more details. Whats up on the 460? Stock block? What heads? Forged rotating assemble? Cam specs? Where in the HELL did you find the turbo "kit"? If its even a kit? lol Lots of questions, I love BBF Fox builds. Kinda rare on here actually I think.

10. jdscarnut

Stock 460 from a lincoln, with large chamber ported cast iron heads. Has comp dual energy and a weiand intake. No kit, I built the headers from scratch, they are 1.5" primary w/ 3" collector and cross-over. Locked out distributor w/ blow through 750. I should be able to fire it up this week.

11. 80mmvert

Did you get it fired up?

12. jdscarnut

Not yet, I am upgrading the fuel system right now since there is still a foot of snow on the ground and more coming. I am thinking about putting all new teflon fuel lines. Anyone on here had success with the frozen boost lines and fittings? I am wondering about the quality and the bend radius on the non-convoluted teflon.

13. jdscarnut

Fired up! Good oil pressure and got up to temp. Two oil leaks (VC gaskets bad, loose oil supply to turbo), Two water leaks (Old radiator cap & freeze plug), Trans fluid leaks (from cooler fittings). Had gas shooting from primary vent (float touching BRPV). Lots of misc items that needed addressing. Will get video and pics ASAP.

14. jdscarnut

pic

1.jpg #ad

15. jdscarnut

16. Getblown

Looking good! :2thumbs:

A few questions, what heads and intake are you using, and what are you doing for headers? I just finshed dropping a stock 93 efi 460 into my 85 and we have a tv8101 to mount on it. To avoid having to buy old style heads I built a carb adaptor for the stock injection lower intake and milled out inside to make it more of a single plane. Now I'm having problems finding some headers under 1200 bucks to cut up and make turbo manifolds. I tried flipping the stock manifolds, but they hit the oil cooler, block, and motor mounts. Also I think your coupe sounds mean, are you still running the stock efi cam? I answered my own questions after actually reading your posts. I though this was the coupe with the efi 460, anyway still what cam are you running and what are you expecting out of the beast?

17. Jess

Built mine for about 250 bucks with summit bends , spd collectors and Mild steel flanges

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147363.0

You can do it alot cheaper than 1200 bucks...