1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

is 9/32 to big for vacuum line for bov and wastegate?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 86turboGT, Mar 27, 2010.

1. 86turboGT

2. 86lxnotch

no, its 1/32 bigger than 1/4'' and i use 1/4 on my bov's and gates

3. Slim93GT

Every turbo maker recommends 1/4" that I've seen. What's the penalty for going smaller??

4. littlebluefoxbody

Using too small of lines can make the bov, reg, and or wg slow to respond. Correct line size is important.

5. blown385

I use 3mm Transdapt silicone line on my MAP sensor , boost gauge , and data logger .

I have seen where guys say larger line react quicker , but I would think a smaller line would react quicker , but I guess I'm thinking like with plumbing . It takes less time for water to get to the end of a 1/2" line compared to a 3/4" line .

Wouldnt this be true with air also ?

-4an braid for BOV and wastegate due to heat . -3an for FP regulator

6. littlebluefoxbody

What will a pool faster a garden hose or a firehose?

7. 86lxnotch

depends on the pressure but in general the firehose will

8. littlebluefoxbody

Consider some of the larger WG's and BOV's, then need the large lines. A larger line can feed or bleed pressure faster. Thus reacting quicker. Keeping them short as possible help them react quicker also.

9. MONTEGOD7SS

A garden hose is about flow, not pressure. A BOV or WG has no flow, just pressure. I feel that a smaller line will react quicker since the internal volume is less.

10. blown385

I agree . A larger line will bleed off quicker , but I think a smaller line will react quicker when it comes to a longer length of hoses like MAP sensors and boost gauges .

Like I was saying about plumbing ........................ ever notice how the hot water lines in some houses are 1/2" not 3/4" ? Its because that way you dont have to wait as long for hot water to get to the fixture with the smaller line . Most are 3/4" now because its all about volume .

11. MONTEGOD7SS

What is the ID of one of those plastic mechanical oil pressure gauge lines, 1/16" maybe? That would be an interesting and pretty easy test to run the stock line and then say a 1/4" line to see which one had more "bounce". More bounce would mean that way reacts quicker to pressure changes.

12. jaredsamurai

Different scenario than air. Oil is incompressable. Therefore it would be a direct hydraulic movement right? The air is comressible and also needs to flow a certain volume to fill the wg. I think bigger line would react quicker on an air system.

13. MONTEGOD7SS

We've got 2 for smaller 2 for bigger. So you think compressing a larger volume will take less time than compressing a smaller volume? I think in practical use it won't matter as long as you stay in the usual range and don't try to run 1/16" or 1" line.

14. 86turboGT

I love this forum! you guys are great.....

im going with the 9/32 but keep discussing it if you would like..... :2thumbs:

15. littlebluefoxbody

Dude go with the large short lines and you'll be fine. NLR recommends 1/4". Them have one the best boost controlers made.

16. blown385

-4an for BOV and Wastegate .

I think the smaller lines are better for sensors that dont need volume .

17. 86turboGT

[​IMG]#ad

Short enough?

18. littlebluefoxbody

According to everyone else it will never work :bang:
    Your line is too big and too large

:cheers:

19. 86turboGT

you really think 1/32 is going to make a difference.....?

20. MONTEGOD7SS

We got off track with a discussion on too big and too little of line, but as long as you don't go crazy and too far from what the port is coming out it will be just fine. If the port is 1/4", I think 3/16" through 5/16" should be just fine. As for what is too big and too little, we'll save that one for another thread.