1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Substituting some oil Pressure for Volume. Rear-mounted modified .48 turbo ?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 724QuikFast, Dec 31, 2017.

1. 724QuikFast

Fiat500 turbocharger .48. Would like to use duals for future rear-mount twin turbo'd mustang. Cool-factor mainly.

So i have this working turbocharger that i got for only $35. Pretty much something to play with and learn on.
    I noticed it was tough to blow in to with a hose and fitting. So i drilled the built-in oil restrictors inside the feed and drain for considerably more flow.

I guess what i'm wondering is since the oil can flow more free now, the oil should be able to go uphill after the oil-drain ?
    Consider it will no longer be on a Fiat and will be on a 3.8 Mustang now so it should have the pressure to fill up the turbos oil galley and send the oil back to the engine.

Yes ?

2. Mnlx

No drain can go uphill unless pumped. By drilling the the restrictor you actually allow more volume to get to the bearings, and possibly have more oil passing through to the drain, requiring even better drainage.

3. 724QuikFast

But if there was no turbo, just a long oil line, the oil would be able to travel up hill , right ?

TomR likes this.
  4. Mnlx

Yes, but it would be pumped up hill under pressure. The bearings in the turbo are the pressure break...... oil pressure on one side, none on the other. The oil at that point needs to gravity, or be pumped back to the pan. The oil would eventually be pushed back to the pan, but the seals leak as the low pressure side of the center section fills with oil (oil exits the bearings as basically oil foam).

724QuikFast likes this.
  5. 724QuikFast

I was looking at this turbo diagram ..
    and i think i drilled straight through the oil passage just before the shaft. That explains why i could blow through it better than before.
    It should get a good consistent flow and pressure(1/4" i.d. line in). If anything i will need to restrict the drain tube to keep some oil backed up in there(1/2" i.d. line out).
    This will be interesting. I'll be sure to see if, and how much oil comes out the end of the return line and what it looks like.

[​IMG]#ad

6. Mnlx

If you drilled through the horizontal passage in the pic you have basically destroyed your turbo.

7. tbird

You dont want to do this. It will cause the oil to get past the seals and you will end up with oil contamination in the intake and exhaust of the turbo.

Its a pretty simple system the doesnt need re-engineering.
    1. feed the bearings with oil.
    2. allow oil to drain unrestricted.

8. 91turboterror

Nobody is perfect but It seems that you learned something the hard way.