1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My first boost build or is it a bomb build?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by cropbomber, Apr 23, 2020.

1. cropbomber

I started his build few months ago to be a n/a for my 99 ss camaro that ive had forever. Its a 5.7 ls6 from an 04 ctsv that i had got a deal on few years ago . i had work done to the heads miled port/polish and shaved for 11:1. the bottom end was fine it has the gen4 rods and pistons, I dropped in a comp cam i had laying around for years its .695/.698 232/234 112 new chain, lifters and a ported oil pump and arp head bolts. Around that time is when i found sloppy mechanics, On youtube. So i pulled it apart and gapped the new rings for boost and set the 243s aside and mounted some clean untouched 317s off a 05 truck with ls9 head-gaskets . i bought a cheap ebay hot side with a 78/75 billet turbo and decapped truck injectors. I had put the build aside a few months till other day i decided to pull the camaro in the garage to yank the ls1 out and mod the radiator support . My car wouldn't start dead battery, so i went searching for cables i found them in my back yard sitting on the hood of a rusty and huge 67 Pontiac Catalina conv. Last few days all i been thinking about is what a bitchin mechanical asshole that car would be instead. So does anyone think its a bad combo ? will it make good power ? Will it have enough bottom end to tug the land yacht ? if i can go either t-56 or th400, im pushing towards th400 would a 3200 stall work with 3;73s to 4;10s. I hardly go to the track but i love doing brodies

2. Pro-SC

I am not the person to respond on the engine combo as I am no ls expert, lots of others on here are though. Looks like it is a pretty standard deal that a lot of guys use though. My comments are more on the car. If you like the old catty I would go for it for sure, cool old sleepers with killer power are pretty cool in my books. This build really came out nice for this guy, unfortunately the car came to an abrupt demise to no fault of the owner. Honestly the guy was lucky to have made it out with his life, but the build and the car was really well done.

https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/my-60-caddy-is-dead.384385/

3. TravisT

Well I had a 7875 on a ls1 with gen 4 rods and pistons, 243 heads and 222/233 cam. Broke a top ring land at 11-12psi. 93 pump. So there’s that. Keep it below that, and you’ll be fine. I was told 12psi was the magic number that I’ll have problems, and it was spot on advice. I didn’t listen. Now there’s a built motor in the car.

4. ng8264723

I like theold scholl Catlina! Always had a thing for pontiacs

5. cropbomber

Thanks guys, i think 10 pds of boost is plenty for my first boost build. and once i get the motor running , and know this motor isn't gonna rattle apart on first start or grenade it while playing with hp tuner. Im gonna build a strong 4.8/5.3 this winter with a better knowledge running boost and hopefully the ls6 is still breathing. go back to n/a slap the 243s and original zo6 cam can go in the camaro. but a mild boost /six speed does sound fun plus i already spent a mint on the clutch kit and fly wheel I think i can do a motor swap in the old Pontiac in half the time its taken me to just change plugs in the camaro I also like that caddy build with twins as , i thought my car was big, that caddy weighed around a 1000 pounds more then my car im afraid to see what the other car looked like after slamming into 5,000 pounds of real American engineering, probably saved his life too im just glad i didn't strip the spindles and rear control arms off the Catalina for my Gto like i originally intended 0ver 5 years ago but im definitely leaving the 428 i pulled out in the goat