1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Holset HT60 Turbine Blades

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by 454ChevyLuv, Mar 27, 2020.

1. 454ChevyLuv

Hello All,

Just got this HT 60 for dirt cheap. The turbine blades seemed really discolored (see pic). The turbine housing is rusted around the outlet. Not certain if the turbine has been exposed to water and that's what caused the discoloration or no? Think it would be ok to leave the blades alone or change the turbine wheel out?

Turbo spins fine. Very little end to end play and very little side to side play. Neither the compressor or turbine wheel seem to be damaged at all and no indication either wheel has impacted their respective housings. I was thinking of running it as is or should I 1) put a rebuild kit in or 2) put a rebuild kit in and replace the entire rotating assembly?

I'm going to pull off the housings and clean them up as well as cleaning up the center cartridge with whatever you guys recommend and blow it all out. Just didn't want to go any farther with the tearing apart then I have to. It's going on a 454 with some forged pistons and some 781 heads. Just wanna have a little fun on low boost.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20200327_151905.jpg #ad

2. Murphy41

Probably used in a natural gas gen-set application from a Cummins, which would leave a white color on the wheel.

3. Mnlx

Nothing to worry about. If the bearings feel tight, and wheels are good, I would run it as is. If it has been hot you'll see it on the turbine inducer, but I suspect it's just fine.

4. Selder

100% normal. I've seen thousands of used turbine wheels and theres nothing wrong I see in your picture. I've seen completely clean, black with soot, and white or greyish deposits. This is all off of diesel engines running a spec fuel. Let her rip. Nothing wrong with what you see.

Steve

5. 454ChevyLuv

Thanks very much guys for your responses. Any suggestions on what I should use to flush out the center cartridge that won't damage any of the internal components? Just wanted to clean up up the center section a bit. Whatever I use to clean it, I planned on flushing out the internals with motor oil after cleaning it, and prior to lighting it off.

6. Mnlx

The best you can do short of disassembling it is to spray something like brake cleaner into it. Hold the turbo so that you're spraying up into it, and what you're flushing runs back out. You don't want to flush anything through the center section. Finish by filling the feed port with clean engine oil, and give it a few spins.

7. 454ChevyLuv

Thanks Mnlx. Understood about spraying up into it. Any reason why I couldn't spray up into the oil feed port and then the exit port as well to flush the internals out? I was thinking of spraying up into the turbine blades, the compressor blades, the oil intake port and the oil outflow port.

8. Mnlx

There's no harm in spraying into either port, you just dont want to flush any debris into the bearing. Think of the bearing as a main, or rod bearing as they work in the same manner, you don't want debris in there, and its not likely to flush through.

9. 454ChevyLuv

Thanks sir.