1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Holley Systemax intake rocks!!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by spooledgt, Jun 18, 2005.

1. spooledgt

I just got back from the dyno with the new Holley Systemax intake and I can't believe how much more power the car made. It pulled 531rwhp and 587rwtq at 12-13 psi, compared to 465/538 with the box upper/stock lower intake setup, at the same boost. That's a gain of 66whp/49wtq from an intake change!

A buddy of mine put a Holley on his Incon TT '88GT before me and also saw big gains, somewhere close to 80rwhp gain on his car.

I was hesitant to spend so much on a new intake, but after seeing the power increases I'd say it's WELL worth the money!! This car should go into the 130-135mph range now....that's just nuts considering how otherwise stock this thing is.

2. SoL_93GT

Wow, thats awsome. I love those Holley intakes. When are you going to the track to test it out? I hope to get my car in the 10's on the stock motor next time out.

Briane

3. spooledgt

I was really amazed. I thought yeah maybe 20-30whp or so, not 66!

Yours will go 10's also for sure. The 60ft. times can't be too terrible though or it'll be 11. something. Mine has gone 10.80's so far with 60's in the 1.55-1.60 range. I'm hoping to improve on those times.

I can't wait to get the car back to the track. Hopefully in the next week or so. If it's not stupid hot at least.

4. boostedfoxbody

Are you still using the stock heads?

5. SoL_93GT

Yeah I'm working on my suspension now, I haven't been able to get it to hook yet at the track. My best 60' is 1.7 spinning through first gear.

Briane

6. Snipe656

What impresses me is that gain and you still have the stock heads. I'd thought a large gain if you already had aftermarket heads. Did you compare the ports on the two different lowers? I was looking at my stock mustang lower and just a systemax lower and the size differences are enormous.

7. spooledgt

Yeah, the heads are unchanged from the other intake setup. They are E7's with my own porting on the exhaust sides.

I did have to match the intake port of the heads to the gasket for the larger runners of the Holley. Nothing extensive though, I just took the ledge off where the lower meets the head to smooth the transition.

8. spooledgt

Yeah, you could almost put two stock runners inside one of the Holley runners.

The intake ports on the stock heads aren't too bad but the exhaust ports are terrible! I think that's where these heads are improved so much is in the porting of the exhaust side.

9. Snipe656

Yeah, well years ago when there were little head options, most people would take out the exhaust bumps and port the exhaust side of E7s for decent power improvements.