1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

twin turbo question for 03 cobra

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by StangFreak, Jul 17, 2004.

1. StangFreak

well i havent been on here in awhile!! well i got my 03 cobra last year and did some mods to it. currently the car has 482rwhp and 461rwtq. would have had more but i kept the supercharger large so the car wont heat soak that fast. well here is my question.

i was looking at the kb and whipple blower for the car, excellent low end tq and nice hp increase. but these turbo kits keep popping into my head. i came across hp performance and saw there tt kits. at such small psi, turbos make huge numbers!! and lets not forget about the huge tq they make as well =)

would a 600rwhp kenne bell twin screw blower be the same as a 600rwhp twin turbo setup? or will the turbo car out perform the kb car due to more tq? also would the twin turbo kit, such as the hp performance spool up quickly and give you a nice low end grunt like a twin screw would? i really dont know too much about turbos. hopefully someone would chime in here and help me out. thanks guys

2. boostfed

A KB kit will out-power a turbo kit down low (ie off idle-about 4000 rpm's) but then the turbo will start taking over. Not worth the hassle AT ALL to do a turbo setup when you can run a KB, whipple, or a works 3.3L blower (soon) and make an easy 600+ to the wheels on pump gas.

3. StangFreak

yea i know, a twin turbo kit has a lot of plumbing involved. but i believe a tt setup on a v8 properly sized, you can reach full boost at about 2500rpms. imaybe be wrong. the kb and whipple are easier to install, but turbos just rock

4. JZ 97 SS 1500

Pro Turbo has the single turbo system for the 03+ cobra's already, and comes with sheetmetal intake.

Jose

5. boostfed

With a 4.6 you are going to be very hard pressed to find a turbo or turbos that will make full boost at 2500 RPM's and make 600 RWHP on pump gas.

IMHO if you want a turbo mod car, go buy a GT or regular cobra, they're a much cheaper base. If you want a fast street car with a sick power curve like a big block, go buy an 03.

6. TurboChargedPower

Before you pass judgement on turbos vs KB, read this:

"I had a Kenne Bell Blowzilla pushing 12 pounds of boost before I ordered a kit from HP. There is no comparison; the HP turbo kit blew the Kenne Bell away and the turbo kit cost me less money to purchase than the Kenne Bell. For anyone looking to go fast, sound and look good at the same time, look no further than HP. I am a believer, I will never own another belt driven power adder.....The car makes unbelievable power. When the turbo spools up in 3rd gear, it will burn the tires off and that is with 3.55 gears. I will be dynoing the car 6/7/2004 and will be taking it to the track shortly there after. Hold on..... numbers are coming."
    Jonathan Haymore

UPDATED COMMENTS:

"I took my car to Randy Haywood in Charlotte NC to get my car dyno tuned. We got the car on the dyno and made the first pull. He shut down the car @ 4700 RPM's because it ran out of fuel with the 42# injectors. Made 565 hp and 632 pounds of TQ!!!!
    This blew my mind, This is with pump gas and showing 10 pounds of boost!!! I need 60 pound injectors and a fuel system to get the full potential of the engine. Randy said, "if we would of had sufficient fuel, you would have made about 650hp and 700 foot pounds of torque". I will give you the real numbers when i install a different fuel system. I might want to start saving for a new block!!!
    Thanks,
    Jonathan T. Haymore

The above comments are from someone who has had both.....reach your own conclusions. And this is with a single turbo.....the twins spool up even faster (full boost by 2800 rpm) and make more power and torque at less boost.

7. boostfed

I have a friend who has an 03 cobra, we'd both love to go with the HP kit because it does look badass, but at 6200 bucks with the internally gated stock turbos it's a bit out of his price range. It doesn't make sense to pay 6200 for the twin kit when he can buy a 2.3L whipple blower for 3300, then spend the 2900 to have fox lake work over his heads, some big injectors and a tune, a new heat exchanger, and make 650 RWHP on pump gas without much issue and have more power than the tires can handle anyways? On an 03, it just doesn't make sense to go with a turbo kit, imo.

BTW, when you saw full boost at 2800 were you datalogging with something, or was it a watch the tach and boost gauge guesstimate?

8. StangFreak

so your saying you can make 600rwhp on pump gas with a kb but not a turbo? i would guess its the other way around. it takes less boost to reach 600rwhp with a turbo than a supercharger. BOOST IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. thats why the guys that are pushing 21psi to reach 610-620rwhp are blowing there motors on the cobra b/c there using pump gas. too much boost, and maybe they also have the stock fuel system.

imo, anything past 18 psi requires higher octane than 93. thats why if i can make 600rwhp with 18psi on a kenne bell than its all good, BUT 18 is ALOT OF BOOST. not to healthy for the engine. i believe in this saying for forced induction cars, "try to make more power with less boost" i can get a kenne bell, set it up at 15lbs of boost, achieve 550rwhp and 500lbs of tq, then add cams and reach well over 600rwhp with 15 lbs of boost. see what i mean? but who wants to rip apart a block?

as far as to which car to use, i have an 03 cobra. its already built for boost. low compression, forged internals. plus its got 4v heads. the gt engine and the cobra engine are two totally different animals. if i were to buy a gt i would have to rebuild the whole block in order to reach my goals. stock gt block will handle 400rwhp, some are pushing 450rwhp but thats playing with fire. it will end up costing me more money.

"the turbo kit cost me less money to purchase than the Kenne Bell. "

where!!!!!!!!!!! i would love to see a turbo kit cost less than a kb. if that was the case all the cobra boys would have gone turbo. a kennebell installed, with a tune, 55lb injectors, maf, dual focus fuel pumps, and all the bell and whistles, would cost you around 5500 bucks. the turbo kit alone cost 6 grand.

i guess it all comes down to money. i would really love to drive a turbo cobra just to feel b/c i am addicted to my low end tq:D

9. Traction Issuez

Screw it, if you want a turbo get a turbo if you want a belt then stick with it. Power costs money, if you can make the same power level on a car that came supercharged originally with another supercharger for less money, then go after it.
    issuez

10. Camwfo

Lets not forget that a turbo is the most efficient power adder that there is and a screw blower is one of the most inefficient power adders. I dont see any reason why a twin kit would not spool to almost full boost by 2500 to 3000 rpm. Besides, I don see why you would want that much power that early anyway. Its just going to blow the tires off. Go with the turbo's they are way cooler anyway. Plus the 03 cobra motor is a purpose boost built motor.