1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Terminator X and Closed Loop Boost Control

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 496 BB, Dec 16, 2020.

1. 496 BB

Have a single turbo LQ4 . Wondering how I want to do this boost control. I was set on closed loop as it seems more predictable but talked to a shop I plan on using to dyno and they prefer open loop. I will be using CO2 on top of domes (2). I have steady boost on springs now at 5.3psi. Its not a full time race truck but will see plenty of racing. Just seems like since the Tx offers closed loop why not utilize it. It would be nice to see map as control method instead of dome but either way it seems easier then open loop. Maybe Im just not that familiar with either one. Thoughts?

2. Disney Lincoln

Is it your truck or his?

From what i've seen on the tuner circles, dyno shops all prefer open loop boost control FOR DYNO TUNING. That way they can make a number and get your junk off their money maker.

I see no reason not to use CL on your truck. Do him a favor and have it dialed in before you strap down. If it's not feasible to test before, at least have a very good idea about what you're doing so when you want to dial in 10# you're not spending 2 hours dicking with settings trying to do it.

Mnlx and B E N like this.
  3. 496 BB

True that. Just rubbed me the wrong way I suppose since Im the one paying them.

Does the closed loop having two solenoids burn up two outputs on the Holley? From what I see from Holley the answer is yes. Whereas open loop would be only one output.

I need schooled on the two in real world experience. I just want to be able to use the boost vs time, boost vs rpm, and boost vs speed in the Tx for what Im wanting to do. From what Ive read Im confused if this can be done with open loop and hence the reason I wanted closed loop. How much more CO2 does open loop use? I mean if it lasts all summer with no leaks Im good with that.

School me please. Im trying to understand and think I got the jist of it but you know how u read too much into something then u get full on retard mode well Im there now.