1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Holley HP vs Terminator sbf.

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Pro-SC, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Pro-SC

I was wondering if I could get an explanation of the differences between the two systems. I am considering purchasing an aftermarket ecu for my 96 F150 and wonder why the terminator is cheaper than the HP.
    I will need a trans controller too as the truck has an E4od so the max is not going to work. Is it worth the extra money for the HP?

2. Russell

3. Briansshop

4. blown385

HP will not control transmission .

5. Pro-SC

I just started reading that thread yesterday, about half way through it right now. It looks like I would need to get a eec-4 ecu harness and figure out what would need to be changed. I assume that a 94/95 5.0 truck harness would do the trick. I did see a nos one from a 1994 e150 van on eBay, not sure if the fitment is the same as I have never worked on the vans before. The price on the harness is reasonable but if I had to get one from the aftermarket, it gets expensive and would make the pimp x more expensive than the Holley terminator x with a quick 4 controller. Going to do more research and decide.

6. Pro-SC

Nothing that Holley has will control the E4od trans, they do 4r70w but that’s about it. I am going to need a quick 4 transmission controller if I go with the Holley. I was just trying to figure out why I would need an HP over the terminator x, can’t seem to find a reason?

7. Pro-SC

I did look at the page before but did not scroll down the page enough to read all the info, thanks for the link. It still does not explain why the hp is more expensive, the 2 systems seem to be very similar and I cannot see any reason to use the HP over the x.

8. Russell

You are paying to be able to have, low imp injectors, a better case, choice in wide band type, built in map boost control, traction control. There are few other things, more N20 stages.

With the HPs lack of I/O I would get the X or the dominator. I like to think of the X as the gateway drug to the dominator :)

9. blown385

Just being able to run the NTK sensor would be enough ....

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  10. Briansshop

For sure!

11. Pro-SC

I was planing on running this N/A for the short to mid term, unless Brian still has his original hot side that had the s366 on it, so the Bosch wideband should be fine no? I am liking that pimp xs more and more and it is on sale right now too. I would be all over the Holley if it would control the transmission. I do have a dominator still in the box for my car but cannot see any need for that many inputs and outputs for the truck. Sales should be coming on soon with Holley days coming up, will see.

12. Pro-SC

So I bought the 1994 E150 van wire harness, just trying to order the pimp x shift from stinger. I figure that this is the best option, it fits in the stock location and has a lot of good options. I will have to wait until the spring now before install unless I can work on it somewhere warm inside! No room in my garage car and parts have it filled.

351w likes this.
  13. 351w

I think that 5.8 van engine was used for my swap.

Pro-SC likes this.