1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Holley efi, do I need a dominator or will HP work for me?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Pro-SC, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Pro-SC

Hello,
    I am building a stroker Windsor car the engine is built 395 ci by Keith Kraft performance. The block is a Ford racing block, four bolt mains, etc. The engine has 9.5 cr and was dynoed with a carb and did about 490 hp and over 500 ft. Lbs. the engine has a lot of great parts and should be good for around 1k power with a good power adder. I have a CG fab hot side for it along with a Borg s480 with the race cover. john Deere turbo spec.
    trans is a G101a 4 speed and a nine inch rear, looking at a 3.20 gear with a 28 inch tall tire.
    I am going to run with a edelbrock 5.8 victor efi intake that has been modded to fit an accufab 90mm t body.
    I am looking for Boxing Day sales on a Holley HP or a dominator system. What I need help with is deciding if the HP has enough inputs for me or if I will need a Dom?
    Okay I don,t need lectures on the manual trans over an auto. I am a stick guy and this trans is good for big power and you only need the clutch to start off, then it is wide open and you can bang the gears with out lifting and just pull the v gate shifter into the next gear. So my question is this,
    I want a two step, be able to use my line lock with it and also have boost control. Not sure if I want it by gear or speed but that takes another input I think? I am going to use an electric fan but that can be done with a separate controller if need be I assume. This is a single turbo setup but also was thinking of the Holley meth setup. I was planning on using an air to air intercooler but I might use air to water, already have an air to air though. Just need to figure out if I can get away with the HP ecu, hoping. Can as the money difference is a lot right now as I am in Canada and with our dollar difference, it costs me a lot more than what is paid in the lower 48.
    If I can do what I want with the HP, then that's what a I will do but I will save more coin for the Dom if I need it as I don,t want to waste money on the HP if I am going to need more inputs. I was also thing of using the cnp deal. I will more than likely go with there 120lb injectors, the digital dash and I really would love to try the new high ram 351w intake.
    Sure would appreciate if more knowledgable people could point me in the proper direction.
    There are some good deals right now so I would like to purchase soon.
    Thanks...

2. 93lxsprayed347

iam in the same situation trying to weight out the price difference,what kind of pricing have you come up with?

3. tbird

hopefully this will help answer your questions

The following differentiate these two ECU’s:
    -
    Wide Band Oxygen Sensor Inputs
    HP –One input
    Dominator–Two inputs

The Dominator can control certain Drive by Wire throttle body applications, the HP does not.

The Dominator can control certain Electronic Transmissions (GM 4L60/5E and 4L80/5E), the HP does not.

Inputs and Outputs
    HP
    2 high side (+12v) PWM or switched outputs
    2 low side (ground) PWM or switched outputs
    4 Multi-inputs

Dominator
    20 high side (+12v) PWM or switched outputs
    16 low side (ground) PWM or switched outputs
    6 speed inputs (magnetic or hall effect)
    30 0-5v sensor inputs
    13 Multi-inputs
    -The Dominator has a “configuration input selection” pin that allows up to 4 calibrations to be selected with a key switch

4. Pro-SC

Thanks for getting back. I know this question has been asked a lot and I have read a lot but still not sure how many inputs and outputs I need.
    I was aware of the differences in the auto trans control, the second wide band 02 sensor and the 20 inputs and outputs.
    I would like to use the boost control, that is one input and two outputs, then I am not sure. I want a two step to build boost at the line. Do I need an input for simple things like a fuel gauge? What is the best boost by gear, time, or speed? And what does this require?
    I also might want to run water meth and the Holley system looks very good but I could use a stand alone system like snow, etc. I just want to be able to use what I will need but not exactly sure what I do need. Is there any other functions that I will need in the future?
    So I want boost control, do I need to use inputs and out puts for a two step or is that built in? What about safety related like temp, oil psi and or low fuel pressure? Just not sure exactly what I need running a stick, I am hoping I can get away with the HP system as I still need a lot of other parts and I am getting sick of saving money to buy this stuff. Would love to fire this thing up this year, but will wait longer to get a dominator if I need it. Thanks for the help.

5. blown385

I run the HP .

inputs :
    #1 ..... trans temp
    #2 .... dome pressure
    #3 .... rev limiter (2-step) / transbrake
    #4 .... A/C kick

Outputs :

#1 .... warning output
    #2 .... boost solenoid +
    #3 .... boost solenoid -
    #4 ..... nothing

I also run CNP

Built in :

fail safe on any sensor through boost setup menu
    fuel pressure
    oil pressure
    O2 sensor
    coolant temp
    TPS
    RPM
    battery voltage
    MAP
    AIT

Do I wish I had the Dominator ? ......sure

Am I getting by with the HP ? ......... yes

I like boost by time ,nothing needed other than the transbrake input , or what ever your using to activate the 2-step .
    Boost vs RPM , I like on the street . Nothing extra needed

i use a mechanical fuel gauge .

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  6. Pro-SC

Right on,
    That is what I was looking for thank you.
    Would like to see what other people are using there inputs and outputs for. When running a stick I am thinking I would use a driveshaft sensor and have it working so when I move a certain pre set amount that the two step will disengage?
    Would like to here from anybody running a stick how they have this set up. I know people use a speed sensor on the wheels and some say front wheel is the best, but what happens if you lift the wheels off the ground?
    I am thinking the HP will work, single turbo, stick car. Boost control, I guess I won't be able to use the Holley meth setup though.

7. Briansshop

The HP can't drive the W/M solenoid, you have to add a driver for it. If you run a Ford IAC, you use up one of your outputs for that. It's prewired and set up for a GM IAC so that'll get you around it. I have HP on my pretty basic single turbo truck,no boost control.

Inputs:
    1 Speed
    2 not used
    3 not used
    4 Logging activate

Outputs:
    1 Ford IAC
    2 Elec Fan
    3 Elec Fan
    4 Not used ATM, adding non Holley W/M

Sounds like to me, you might want to go for the Dom.

Your car is going to be fun, I just sold my Foxbody,single turbo, with a G101A. Had FAST XFI on it,I definitely like the Holley system better.

8. blown385

If you dont use the holley to run your fans , you could use boost control .

Ive always had my fans on a thermostat plus A/C activated , so I really didnt care about using the holley to control them .

9. Briansshop

Yeah, figure if I get to needing some outputs I could do that. Just running off the spring in the gate and working fine atm.

10. blown385

It works pretty damn good .

11. Briansshop

I'd like to try it at some point, but I'm under 600hp and cruise the street mostly. Not making BIG HP like you. My truck wants to be like yours when it grows up!

12. blown385

LOL .......... Thanks

13. kcadby

Coming from someone that has Tuned Holley on several bikes, both HP and Dominator...
    Two step (Rev-1) is activate with Clutch Lever (pedal on car) and with Turbo you add the T-Brake/Launch input to that same input to active Boost Build and that also starts the Timer for Boost vs Time when the lever/pedal is released...
    We use Rear Wheel Speed via output shaft on the bikes = drive shaft for you and this also lets you know what's going on with your Clutch vs RPM on the Data ;)
    Images of basic HP Turbo set-up...
    This is configured for Dome Pressure Boost Control...
    FYI you don't need to use a Master Enable Input, this 4.60 bike owner wanted it... Holley-HP_Input.jpg #ad
    Holley-HP_Output-PIN.jpg #ad

14. Pro-SC

Thanks for the information, I do appreciate it.
    Do you have a thread on your fox?
    I am interested in how your g101a fit.
    There is another guy on YB who has a pick up with a g101a in it, thought it was maybe your truck.
    Guess not.

15. Pro-SC

Thanks very much!

16. 3pedals

I say spend the extra on the Dominator, I did and do NOT regret it. The ability to log and control anything you want with no need for external boxes or devices is awesome

17. 3pedals

I did the turbo/stick thing. It's a lot of fun, especially with a Gforce trans

18. Briansshop