1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Paxton Supercharger FMU?

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by glennpm, May 10, 2022.

1. glennpm

I bought a Paxton fuel management unit that was supposed to have been used with a McCulloch VS57 supercharger. There is no model number on it. It has a rubber diaphragm. It also has a drilled hole in the boost pressure inlet fitting which seems odd.

- Is this for a carburetor installation
    - Model number?
    - Rebuild kit?

DSCN1899.JPG #ad
    DSCN1897.JPG #ad
    DSCN1898.JPG #ad

2. Mnlx

FMU's as I know them are for EFI as compounding fuel pressure rise does nothing for a carbs fuel delivery. Carbs only require a 1:1 ratio.

3. glennpm

Hi Mnlx,

I've found out today that all of the Paxton FMUs are for FI systems and not for carburetors.
    The unit is an early version from the 80s according to Craig at Paradise Wheels,

https://web.archive.org/web/20201023102715/http://paradisewheels.biz/power/contact/

Vortech just wanted to sell me a new one, none of which work for a carburetored motor

The carburetor needs a boost referenced fuel pressure to overcome the 5 or 6lb of boost from the McCulloch VS57. There are mechanical fuel pumps for marine applications plus others however in my 40 Ford with SBC, there is no room for one. I modified a Holley #803 connecting the normal atmospheric pressure to boost referenced air pressure from the s/c.

DSCN1892.JPG #ad

4. jbliss15

those FMUs work surprisingly well. keep it man i bet its worth some money

5. Forcefed86