1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

holley 390 ok to blow thru?

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by malibuguy, Jan 2, 2015.

1. malibuguy

Going to be building a low boost mild set up on a 229 v6...can and will a 390 holley accept blow thru modifications?

I thought about a 500 carter/edelbrock but i feel that would be too large. My goal is fast response fat low mid range then top end (not going to rev past 4500rpm)

2. tbird

Yes it will. Not sure what 390 you are talking about. There are 2 barrel 390s, 4 barrel 390s that have vac. secondaries, and 4 barrel double pumps.
    I personally have done a 390 double pump on a 4.3 v6.

3. malibuguy

Sorry i didnt know there where many variants. Its a 390 4bbl with a single fuel inlet. I know absolutely nothing about holleys...im only going to run one because carter/edelbrock never made anything smaller then a 500

4. M&M Turbochargers

5. turbostang500

I am guessing if it is a single fuel feed, it is probably a vac secondary. I cant honestly say I have seen anyone build a vac secondary for blow through duties.

6. malibuguy

Ive heard if i put a screw in the linkage it makes it mechanical. I need to take a close look it at

Thanks for the link

7. tbird

Ive seen a couple use vac. sec. carbs for blow thru. Seems like they had to do something with the secondary vacuum port to make them open.
    I avoided the problem and when with a double pumper.

You could do the screw thing. You may find that it will cause a stumble when the secondaries open not having a secondary squirter. Its worth a shot.

8. malibuguy

Im hoping to use what i got since i bought the carb not long ago and i just bought a house last month so...fundage be on the short side for a while...at least until i get the garage fixed up and i can start doing side fab work

9. Rickracer

With some mods you can turn a VS carb into a DP, I would NOT try to use it as a VS. I'm really not familiar with the 390 4 bbl, but being a 4150/4160 style Holley, regular Holley parts will interchange.