1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Hobart Institute of Welding Technology

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by RDY4WAR, Aug 31, 2012.

1. RDY4WAR

:welder:

I enrolled for the 9 month combination structural and pipe welding program starting Oct. 22nd. Anyone here a graduate of Hobart and can share some reviews of the school? How is the area around Troy/Dayton, Ohio? I've never been to that part of the country except passing through on I-70.

2. joemayo

9 months? dang.. should of gone to MWI in Nevada, MO.. 18 weeks.. teach you up to 2" tig/stick

3. skip

Is this only a couple hour class every week or what? :welder:

4. RDY4WAR

It's M-F, 4pm - 11:30pm. 36 weeks, 1260 clock hours.

http://www.welding.org/images/document/193.pdf

WTB027 Welding Technology & Blueprint Reading 2 weeks 70 clock hours
    OAW001 Oxyacetylene Welding & Cutting 2 weeks 70 clock hours
    SMA002 Shielded Metal Arc Welding 4 weeks 140 clock hours
    SMA003 Shielded Metal Arc Welding Advanced 4 weeks 140 clock hours
    SMA006 Shielded Metal Arc Welding Pipe 2G and 5G Positions Uphill 4 weeks 140 clock hours
    SMA106 Shielded Metal Arc Welding Pipe 6G Position Uphill 2 weeks 70 clock hours
    SMA107 Shielded Metal Arc Welding 2' Pipe Uphill 2 weeks 70 clock hours
    GTA008 Gas Tungsten Arc Welding 2 weeks 70 clock hours
    GTA109 Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Titanium 1 week 35 clock hours
    GTA108 Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Pipe 2 weeks 70 clock hours
    GTA009 Gas Tungsten Arc Welding/Shielded Metal Arc Welding Pipe 4 weeks 140 clock hours
    GMA011 Gas Metal Arc Welding 2 weeks 70 clock hours
    GMA016 Gas Metal Arc Welding Advanced 1 week 35 clock hours
    GMA013 Gas Metal Arc Welding Pipe 1 week 35 clock hours
    FCA015 Flux Cored Arc Welding 2 weeks 70 clock hours
    WEL530 Weldability of Metals, Ferrous & Nonferrous 1 week 35 clock hours

5. craig6.9diesel

My cousin went there but didnt finish but did enjoy his time there, and a friend of mine did graduate from there and is now a welding instructor at a tech school in Indiana.

6. BreakDancer

How much $$$

7. RDY4WAR

Just over $16,000 including books, helmet, jacket, gloves and other necessities.

8. RDY4WAR

Good deal. I've heard nothing but good reviews about the institute which is what draws me there.

9. skip

Dang 16K for that. Do they feed and house you for the weeks? I hope they atleast feed you. Are you certified when you leave?

10. RDY4WAR

It includes 3 AWS QC7 national welding certifications. It's all covered by my post 9/11 GI bill so nothing out of my pocket.

11. stangman9897

From all of that i take it your going to do this for a living and not to just be a good welder to build cars. I hope you thought this over really well. Don't get me wrong i like welding BUT not for a living, did it for 5 years and change and said fuck it and went off into something cleaner. Nothing lke weldind outside on a 105* day leaning over hot steel and rod burning your eye's arms legs even feet sometimes ( hot slag in boot ) then the rain. I spent most of my time in a job shop where you didn't do the same thing every day, and that wasn't bad but still it will make an old man out of you quick. But if thats what you want to do then the best of luck to you. :welder:

12. RDY4WAR

I have my Associate's in Pre-Engineering that acquired prior to the end of my enlistment. Once this program is finished, I'll be using the remaining part of my GI Bill to finish my bachelor's in Mech Engineering. The welding program is really just to broden my horizon and gain a skill.

13. stangman9897

That sounds a lot better and it's a great skill to have, i remember a job i was doing in the shop and it was for the Navy and they had an inspector looking over my shoulder the whole job and one day he stopped me and said i started at the wrong end of a lap joint weld that was not tied to anything and i told him you just think so because your right handed and im left handed so im going to start on the other side than you would and after 15min's of shit i saked him how long he had welded and he says well i've never actualy did it but i read the books in school, thats when i told him to back the fuck off.

Well it sounds like you have a plan and good luck with it. :cheers:

14. RDY4WAR

LOL Yeah, I don't want to be one of those book gurus with no actual experience. Not gonna lie, the main reason for this is so I can weld up my own turbo manifolds and downpipes, my own roll bar, and the like without paying out the ass for someone else to do it. I want to be able to weld up my own end tanks for intercoolers, weld up my own charge piping and brackets, stuff like that.

Also, my old bronco is always falling apart. It would be nice to be able to weld up my own exhaust pipe to replace that leak or cut out and weld up new metal where the rust is eating through the quarter panels. I just have a Lincoln 140 MIG welder currently, looking to get a good TIG welder with tax returns next year.

15. stangman9897

I knew there was an altearitive motive involved here somewhere . :2thumbs:

16. 10secgoal

Eh, use the GI bill, fuck it. Been looking into doing the same. Finding some online or local CNC courses to use it before it expires....I paid for that shit lol.