1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

High underhood temps.

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by chiaj144, Aug 6, 2011.

1. chiaj144

I am running out of ideas on this piece of shit car of mine. I took it for a 5 minute drive. I went to pull the rear bowl off the carb and I rested my arm on the carb hat and it burned my arm. The metering block gaskets look like they are cooked on. The coolant temp is a little hot 210 or so but I need to wire the fans so they don't run all the time and put the chin spoiler back on to deflect the air up into the rad so I am sure I can get the coolant temp in check.
    The car has 30* timing in it. Idles at 13.5-14.0, cruises at 14.0 or so as well. I had a similar problem when I ran the timing locked at 18* but it went away when I put timing to it.
    Can you other blow through guys touch your carb hat after driving it around? What could have caused the car to start doing this again?

2. Disney Lincoln

make sure teh timing hasn't changed for starters.

3. chiaj144

Ya, that's first on the list. My buddy is bringing his timing light over tomorrow.

4. PEARL MUSSIN

The two thing that have really helped with keeping the under hood heat down and carb cool to the touch are the layers of Kaowool I put on my hot side and the phelonic spacer under my carb. The spacer is worth its weight in gold! The kaowool works great as well, I got mine from Ebay.

Jeremy

5. turboventura

when i was messing with my carb NA i had an open plenum single plane intake and no spacer. After a 30 min drive i couldnt handle the bolts they were so hot, baseplate bolts or fuel bowls. Added a 1in phenolic spacer and i could drive around all day and pull the carb right off no problem, huge difference.

6. sean

How did you put the kaowool on or attach it? Been looking at kaowool to wrap some pipes, just not sure how to keep it on or protect it.

7. PEARL MUSSIN

It just stays on. I cut it to fit and it lays on, it kind of forms (its fiberglass) around the pipe. If you want it super tight around each header tube id use SS wire to tie it on.

8-7-10 153.jpg #ad

8. spoolinranger

Hey pearl,whats the difference in using header wrap and Kaowool?

9. PEARL MUSSIN

The header wrap is more permanent, my downpipes are wraped. I think the kaowool does a better job of controlling under hood heat.

10. BlownShovel

I lost a few fingerprints touching my aluminum valve covers..even worse when I had aluminum heads.

Aluminum will draw all that heat quixkly. Wraps, shells and covers help. As stated previously a composite carb space will help tremendously for the carb and some bonnet heat.

11. chiaj144

Got it running a bit cooler.The rad cap wasn't closing. Now the fan will actually bring the temps down to 175.