1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

High boost/fuel pressure.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BoostedJetta, Feb 27, 2022.

1. BoostedJetta

What kind of pumps were used for the higher boost area? I have a single bosche 044 currently in a surge tank and I was running around 45psi in a vw 2.0 8v motor... I set a new goal for it and my only question is how I would go to keep fuel flow/pressure above boost pressure?
    My boost pressure goal will run around 85psi and I'm trying to find pumps that'll support at least 45psi over and still supply a good flow rate? And recommendations? Looking for 350lph @ 10bar if possible.

Does anyone have any pumps/ combinations that could help me out? TIA

2. B E N

This is a very confusing post. You are saying you are going to run 85 lbs of boost, or you need 85 lbs of fuel pressure? Then you are moving from psi to bar..

Are you saying you need a pump that will provide 350lph at 147 psi?

And that is a lot of boost for a gasoline application, are you sure you mean 85 psi? I think you are going to need a lot more than 350lph.

This is not a build thread btw.

3. Mnlx

Run two pumps in series.

B E N likes this.
  4. BoostedJetta

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  5. KEVINS

Let's start with this question then this will help others get on board with what you're wanting:

How much HP are you wanting to make and with what fuel?

ks

6. BoostedJetta

7. Disney Lincoln

It seems whatever you find you will need to run two pumps in series to boost the pressure to what you need. Implementing that may be tricky. I wonder if you can find a belt drive pump that could get the pressure you need?

Other thought is about cooling. I don't have any numbers or data in front of me, but... I wonder if you're going to run into auto-ignition issues. I don't know of any gasoline or ethanol engine running anywhere near that much pressure. Would be really interesting to see if in action!

8. gruntguru

Four cylinder drag cars are running over 100 psi boost now.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  9. bbi_turbos

Not to mention direct injection engines running 1,000+psi.

10. B E N

You are going to need more than 350lph for that goal. Fuel pumps aren't going to flow their advertised volume at that pressure. For instance, a Hellcat pump is rated to flow 104.3 GPH at 40 psi, but at 130 psi it drops to 21 GPH. You need an actual delivery of 135+ GPH to hit your power goal (assuming 1200+ hp at the flywheel).

Since this seems to be a race only application you could drop your base fuel pressure down to 35 psi. That brings your pressure on boost down to ≈120 psi where the hellcat pumps will flow 54GPH. Running 3 of them under a triple hat system will get you the pressure and volume required.