1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Holset hx40. Been modded to .96. Looking for smaller

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Cpt. Slow, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Cpt. Slow

I have an HX40 that has been modded to a 67mm cold side and has a .96 a/r hotside. I'm trying to downsize my hotside to work better with my 289 build. I'm having troubles tho because a lot of hotsides are labeled in cm. Can anyone assist me down sizing and measuring my turbine wheel if needed.
    Thanks
    Eric

2. silverback

Being that this is an HX40 I'm guessing that this was done by a diesel shop? To be honest, without exact details of how it was done (or someone _really_ familiar with how they're doing it), it's such an apples to oranges thing that it would be hard to guess what the deal with it is. I would guess that it's something like the HX cold side was put on a Garrett hot side, but that doesn't exactly make sense since the hot side is harder to adapt to so if someone with a diesel was trying to make something useful for them they would have kept the Holset hot side. It also wouldn't be an HX40 anymore since 67mm is typically the range of the HX50/52/55.

Without having any more details than what you posted, my first question is how do you know it won't work well on the 289, have you tried it? A 67mm compressor and .96A/R turbine (depending on the wheel size) doesn't sound that out of line for a 289. If it is, my first instinct would be to sell the modified HX40 in whatever market that is popular in, and just try a stock HX40, or maybe an HE351 or something similar.

3. tbird

Many 302 guys have partially blocked one turbine inlet to force more through the other side with good results.

4. Cpt. Slow

I wish the ad was still on here. I bought it from a fellow on here. I guess I should have said it is a holset hx40 center section that has had the compressor housing machined out from the original ~55mm impeller to a 67. I currently have this turbo on a total stock 5.0 bottom end with edelbrock heads, rpm intake. It's lazy, doesn't hit until late 3's. The 289 is a total budget build as I just sold the 5.0 to my dad with all the goodies for a roller n/a 347 build for his 67 mustang.

5. Cpt. Slow

It is not a twin scroll housing either. It just says .96 A/R.

6. Cpt. Slow

Here's a quick pic of the setup.

image.jpg #ad

7. Mnlx

Some are machining p trim turbine housings to fit some of the Holsets.

8. Cpt. Slow

Would pics help identify what have?

9. Mnlx

Pics, and wheel measurements would help a lot.

10. Cpt. Slow

Help with measuring would help a lot.

11. Mnlx

Measure both the small, and large diameters of both wheels if possible.

12. Dsm_dad

Wish i would have seen this when you posted it