1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What makes a turbo cam.... a turbo cam?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Crazy Larry, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Crazy Larry

Starting to look into cam upgrades so I'm wondering what makes a turbo cam a turbo cam, and how is that different from one designed for a supercharger or naturally aspirated? What should I be looking for duration, lift, etc.? This would be mainly for street use.

2. Kevin S.

Really good article i found about this subject that i was also wondering about.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ctrp-1106-turbo-camshaft-guide/

3. Crazy Larry

Thought it would be simpler but I'll study it. Thanks.

4. Mnlx

A good turbo cam is one one that gets, and keeps as much of the intake charge in the chamber as possible, and the exh from re-entering it, which can vary a lot due to engine/turbo combinations, and modern turbos. The "turbo" cams of old are rarely the "right" cam anymore. A call to your cam manufacture of choice is a good place to start.

5. Forcefed86

I don't even remember where I copied this from, but it explains it pretty well IMO.

6. afterfire

7. 69-chvl

A turbo cam is a cam from a seller who says you're running the wrong cam.

8. Cfm

No lap, billet steel core, etc.