1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

help with missfire problem 302 on3 combo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Turbojay, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Turbojay

typical h/c/i on3 combo, aem boost controller

i bought this car from old owner directly off the dyno,

the problem is i have a hesitation and misffire i cannot track down, i had 2 dyno sessions that did not catch the issue,

some times the car will run wot be fine, sometimes it will just have normal hesitation but give it more gas and it clears up, it revs free and clear . drive down the road first gear feels good shift into second gear (normal driving) and i can feel it bogging down give it more gas clears up, i checked fuel rail with my cell phone while driving and its increasing under load from a small drive i did,

wires show no arc at all in the dark,
    new plugs (several sets tried)
    fuel pump is fresh
    new advance auto tfi
    2 different distributors
    2 different coils
    new 60 lb injectors
    good vac at idle 11-13
    new tps,

the other night i drove the car still had hesitation at low load but i hammer on the gas and it was awesome, the old owner claims to never have this issue ever, i will tell you he dam near welded the battery to the battery box after i got it from him cause he didnt tighten it down, it actually shut the car off on him, i dont know if that could have burnt up something. i am at a loss, and i dont want to take it back to the tuner if there is something else that i should be checking, i have not checked compression as i feel the problem is all over the board and it would never have a good running point if there was something wrong with the motor

2. Crazy Larry

Showing any problems with air/fuel ratio when that happens? Do you have a way to log that? Smoke test it too to look for leaks, same with the vacuum lines.

3. devo9er

^like he said, Im curious what the A/F looks like

Do you know what it has for a maf sensor? Is it just running the stock ecu or does it have a chip etc?

Do you have any logs or videos from the tuner showing numbers while it was on the dyno?

In my experience, usually ignition component specific misfires will get worse, not better the deeper in the throttle you get. As cylinder pressures increase, thats when misses tend to be more noticeable. You mention in second gear at part throttle its not too happy but if you stab the throttle it gets better. Thats backwards from what i would expect if you had a bad wire, coil, dist, etc... If its running real lean at cruise and part throttle it may have a lean miss and then wot it richens up and smoothes out perhaps..... Whats it like cruising at around 40 in fifth gear? If you lay in the throttle does it vibrate and shake?