1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Autostart problems

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Mnlx, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Mnlx

I installed a Kia auto start on my wife's 06 sportage, and it works fine except when temps are 10* and below. At the cold temps, it starts, and seems to be running fine, but will only run for about 5 min, and then dies, or shuts off. It does seem to overfuel when cold, but starts 99.9% of the time when air temp is 10* and below, and never has died when starting with the key. Any ideas on where to start?

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Any difference in the fuel used this time around? Higher alcohol content can make it more difficult to start, wonder if the ECM when it transitions from cold start up tables is having a fueling issue.

3. Mnlx

This has been an ongoing problem for about a year now, and have run fuel from different stations, but always 87, so I assume its not the fuel. Its fires right up, and seems to run fine, but typically only runs for 5-10 mins and then shuts off, but does run longer on occasion. If the air temp is 10* or above, no problems.

4. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Just read on a couple of sites where this might be normal, the Autostart is on a timer. Also, it's programmed to shut off when you get in, this way you have to put the key in. I'm just guessing that's it based on reading and don't know 100% (my starter is a Viper, not Autostart).

5. Mnlx

This is actually a Kia brand remote start, and it does have a timer (15 min), and will shut off if you step on the brake without turning the key to run. When the issue is there, it may run for 2, 5, 10 min, but never makes it to 15. There is a tech line, but it hasn't been much help, so my wife has decided to have a local shop install an aftermarket remote start, with a lifetime warranty (not super happy about this..... but if the remote start doesn't work she wants her spot in the garage back for the winter =)