1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help With Fuel Injector/MAF Application

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by JonandJoey, Jan 7, 2017.

1. JonandJoey

Here's my current situation:

"Stock" 302, Edelbrock Performer heads, E303 cam

76 mm throttle body

73mm On 3 turbo (capable of 14-16 psi at our altitude)

Currently running 42 lb/hr injectors with stock fuel rails, turbo is adjusted to 9 psi (altitude corrected), and making 360 hp at 5800 rpm.

I want to upgrade my fuel system this winter, in order to get the most out of the turbo with this engine. I'll be going with the Aeromotive fuel rail kit and Eliminator fuel pump, maybe something like this kit:

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/aeromotive-eliminator-stealth-system-fits-86-95-5-0l-mustang/

I'm thinking about these fuel injectors:

http://www.rceng.com/Saturated-Injector-SL4-0650-P32C6.aspx

650 cc/min 62 lb/hr @43.5 psi

And possibly this MAF:

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.c...5-0l-mustang-using-blow-through-applications/

3 1/2 inch blowthrough MAF calibrated for 60 lb injectors.

My questions are:

Will the 60 lb-calibrated MAF work properly with the 62 lb injectors?

Will the 60 lb injectors give me enough fuel to make the most of this turbo with this engine? If we were to go to a track at a lower altitude, would we have the headroom to richen it up some and still run well?

Should I consider over-building this fuel system with the goal of eventually using the same system on a hotter, new motor in the future? I figure I'm at least two years shy of building a new motor (unless we break this one sooner), but eventually I would like to go with a 363 Windsor stroker...

2. 64nailhead

I'd skip past the 60's and get a set of 80's - lots of room to grow.

I've been dealing with https://www.southbayfuelinjectors.com/ and have had good luck. The owner is a great guy that stands behind his injectors. The last two sets I've bought were Siemens and they have been working flawlessly. They're also a little cheaper than the ones you linked. I have 80's in a 327 SBC and they idle great at .9-1 mhz.

3. JonandJoey

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the link, I will check them out. I have seen other injectors that are a lot cheaper, but I've always believed that in most cases you get what you pay for, and I don't want to have more problems than necessary 'cause I cheaped out on parts.

How closely does the MAF need to match the injectors? Will they work together within +/- 5 lb, like the combination I referenced above, or will a slight mismatch cause issues?

4. Disney Lincoln

MAF doesn't need to match. You can go into the tune and adjust for it. You just need a MAF that won't "peg" at 5V. A lot of folks using the slot sytle MAF now welded into a tube.

5. JonandJoey

I have no idea what that is. Can you show me an example?

6. Disney Lincoln

7. JonandJoey

Wow. Now I feel stupid ;-) I can already see several advantages of that style MAF. Plus, they look significantly cheaper than the tube style.

8. Disney Lincoln

And work way way better.