1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help with Cam and Heads

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by JohnSpo1, Feb 19, 2020.

1. JohnSpo1

Hello all, I've currently got a Dart block 427 SBC with AFR210 heads, forged rotating assy and solid roller cam. I've been told that both my cam and heads may need upgrades but this is an expense I really do not want to make if I do not need to. The recommendation on the heads is to go up to an AFR 220 head with upgraded springs with 800# compressed pressure. The cam I am currently running is a 582/582 lift with 110 lobe sep and 251in/262ex duration. On the cam it's been recommended to go with a .640" lift with 115* lobe sep and 253 Duration.
    I'm currently at 500hp and 10.4:1 compression. I plan to run Methanol as main fuel with 8# of boost and reaching for 1000hp.
    I should also mention that this is going through a T56 trans into a Moser M9 rear in a Pro Tour Monte Carlo SS.
    What are thoughts on the heads and cam and am I reasonable with the power #. I've got flowtech up/forward headers, Precision Turbo Mirror image 62/66 turbos, 46mm WG, 50mm BOV and intercooler to start my build with. BTW, I've named my build "Bucket List"

2. Disney Lincoln

Easy. Run 14.7# of boost and you've got 1000hp. I really don't understand why you'd swap the heads. The cam, I could go either way, but given the time and effort, I would for damn sure just leave it all alone and put the boost and fuel to it. If you build it, it will work!

3. Briansshop

Like DL says above,8psi won't get you to 1k. The simple formula is double atmospheric pressure, double the HP. Your motor combo will work as is. Compression being the only issue I see,but I'm not familiar with tuning 100% Meth

4. JohnSpo1

Thanks for the replies, the issue with the heads were stated that they may fall off on the top end, but the trade off would be the loss of responsiveness at the low end. I can live with a slight loss of top end.
    The main issue with the cam is the overlap, I'm told that we need enough to prevent boost from escaping during the overlap, does this sound right?

5. tbird

I agree with the above. There is some merit to the heads limiting rpm because of bigger cid. But, its still gonna rpm the same as it was NA.
    As for the overlap, more often its a problem with exhaust back pressure backing up in the chamber and diluting a fresh inlet charge with spend exhaust.
    Part of cam selection is knowing what turbos are being used and how they are going to react as for as high back pressure or low.
    Wider lobe sep wont hurt. If your not opposed to giving it a try , use it how it is. It looks like your current cam has a longer exhaust duration which methanol likes so thats a plus.

6. 91turboterror

Like said before what you have . If anything change the cam down the road. Maybe get a custom turbo cam

JohnSpo1 likes this.
  7. Mnlx

I agree on the heads, but think I would at least make a call on the cam. I personally think the 110 lsa, big duration split, and small turbines are going to lead to some high back pressure issues. A custom cam may be able to band aid some of it. It would be worth a call imo.

8. Disney Lincoln

Don't you think if you call any cam company and tell them you have an NA cam now and are going turbo that they would tell you to buy one of their turbo cams? My reason for him not changing cams was to avoid a few things.
    1.) Taking too much time that he doesn't have
    2.) Making the process of turbo-ing his project that much more complicated.
    3.) Him ending up with an uncompleted project because he got too hung up on "doing it the "right way" the first time".

9. JohnSpo1

I appreciate all the comments, so far three cam companies have all said pretty much the same thing about the cam, only AFR has recommended upping the heads. I have a good friend in California who's opinion I trust as well and (7 sec Twin Turbo camaro)he has pretty much agreed that the cam would be the only concern. Quite honestly if I have to pull the engine to mount oil return lines in pan changing the cam at the same time would be simple. I will also explain that I have everything needed to perform whatever work I have to do. My only restriction is that I am not allowed to perform any type of arc welding any more. Fortunately I think welding will be minimal and there is an excellent fabricator of circle car parts a few miles from home. I've already spoke to the owner and they will fab or weld whatever I need.
    So in essence, head change is out, Cam change is likely. Now if all of the parts would get here:)

10. Mnlx

He asked for our opinions, and I didn't think a cam swap was out of the question. He'll make up his own mind on what he wants, but its always better to be informed. I feel for him, I really do, but he came asking questions, and that's what this forum is about. I didn't mean to stir anything up, I apologize if I did.

Briansshop and Disney Lincoln like this.
  11. Mnlx

They're going to reccomend a turbo grind, but my point was that the na cam, with the rest of the parts isn't a good choice. I don't see it as doing it right or wrong, but rather a simple change to help make what he has work better together.

tbird and Disney Lincoln like this.
  12. Disney Lincoln

You aint wrong!

13. JohnSpo1

Absolutely no issues on my end, I want all the information I can get, pros and cons. As you mentioned, I'll make up my own mind in the end. I can see merit all scenarios, but part of the decision making process is "bang for the buck". What will I gain with $2400 heads? Not enough to justify the cost at this point I believe. On the other hand, will I gain reliability and efficiency with a purpose ground $200 cam? That is what still needs to be determined. I do not believe either will have enough power gain to consider that a selling point.

14. tbird

$2400 heads will gain you couple few less psi of boost to make the same HP as your current heads. Not worth it IMO. If this was gonna be a max effort deal then I would see it different.

15. Bill Chase

the 210 and 220 heads are the same casting. have them ported.

16. Drac0nic

A few things:
    -Instead of focusing on the heads make sure you focus on the valve springs especially if the turbine size is tight.
    -I'd want more turbo if I was planning on trying to do 1K at 8 PSI. Precision doesn't release maps to my knowledge but looking at S362s you'd be right at the edge of the map and making heat with 8 PSI/1K HP. 15 PSI/1K HP looks good though.
    -I'd rather change turbines than change the cam honestly. It may even be slightly more money to do such but I don't think it's an issue. Monitor your back pressure on these is my advice and see where it goes. There's certainly implications of running alcohol but I'm just not sure what they are. Things like oxygen content and burn temperature.
    -10.4 should not be an issue on alcohol. If anything it's low I would think even with boost. I wouldn't want to try it on pump gas but that's just me.
    -8 PSI ain't gonna happen with what you have. Then again if you're running alcohol it shouldn't be a big issue. If you want to do that you're going to want an additional 165ish HP which means you'd absolutely want to do head and cam upgrades; My advice is just run 15 PSI instead.

17. JohnSpo1

All good input, it was decided a while back to shoot for 15 PSI. My plan is up to 15 PSI to try and reach 1Khp. If we make it back it off to around 800 HP for a main tune, then the 1K tune for special occasions.