1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

TFI to EDIS With MS2

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by mustang-junky, May 1, 2015.

1. mustang-junky

I have a MS2 v3.0, Extra code, tuning with Tunerstudio. I am trying to convert over to a EDIS ignition from a ford TFI. I have followed the directions here;

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

Thing is, they were written for use with Megatune not Tunerstudio, so the settings are different. I can't seem to find any info for EDIS usage with TS, or even EDIS with the 'Extra code'. Is there any differences?

Anyway I wired up the EDIS molule, and made these MS mods;

V3.0 main board:
    • DB37 pin #36 to the SAW pin (#3) on the ignition module
    • DB37 pin #24 to the PIP pin (#1) on the ignition module
    • On the V3.0 main board:
      • use the 'Hall sensor circuit' (step #50.a in the assembly guide) - jumper D1 and D2,
      • jumper OPTOIN to TACHSELECT on the bottom side of the PCB, near the DB37 connector, opposite the heat sink,
      • jumper TSEL to OPTOOUT on the bottom side of the PCB, near the center.
    • jumper JS10 to IGN (this uses the processor port for the SAW signal directly),
    • jumper XG1 to XG2 on the bottom side of the PCB, near the 40 pin socket,

I used these settings as best as I could because I couldn't find some of them, must be a difference between TS and Megatune?

Settings/MegaTune
    In TunerStudioMS, set:

• Trigger offset = (this will vary slightly, depending on the wheel/pickup configuration),
    • Ignition Input Capture to 'Rising Edge', ('Falling Edge' for MicroSquirt[SUP]®[/SUP] only if using the VR input circuit - not recommended),
    • Cranking Trigger to 'Calculated',
    • Coil Charging Scheme to 'EDIS',
    • Spark Output to 'Going High (Inverted)', ('Going High (Inverted)' for MicroSquirt).
    • Trigger Wheel Teeth to '0' (zero)
    Set the predictor algorithm option to 'last interval'.

Anyway, I can't get the car to start. I have fuel, and spark, but it does not even try to catch, just spins over.

Does it make a difference that the instructions weren't written for using 'Extra code', or Tunerstudio? Any suggestions?

Jess

2. ashford

the megamanual is a bit antiquated, if you have the extra code i would suggest their setup(not sure if it is different hardware wise though) the extra code has complety different software settings, trigger wheel should be set to edis.
    http://www.msextra.com/manuals/ms2manuals/

3. 92LX-5.8

Here is a write up on the corral that I did when I swapped from tfi to edis. Post number 8 shows the wiring changes I had to make.
    http://forums.corral.net/forums/megasquirt/1377440-my-squirt-edis-setup.html
    I had the same no crank issue as you are having and I had to roll my wires at the crank position sensor and it fired right up. I also built my board following the manual then changed to extra code and had to make all the wiring and set up changes. I can not remember right off what my squirt settings where but if you would like I can send you a copy of my tune.

4. bigt_45

What were the biggest benefits you noticed over the TFI? I'm debating EDIS myself

5. 92LX-5.8

Edis coil packs are a hotter ignition source so I didn't have to work about spark blow out with a turbo. Also I got tired of changing failed TFI modules.

6. mustang-junky

Thanks, but I can't find a damn thing in the manuals anymore. They changed most everything up, and all my bookmarked stuff just goes to a real general index.

Anyway, I ended up getting the car running. In the process of wiring everything up I accidentally disconnected to lead from my fuel pump to my fuse panel. It don't run so good without fuel.

92LX-5.8, I like how you had the trigger wheel welded to you pulley, good idea. I too have noticed that the car idles smoother with the EDIS instead of the TFI, I made no other changes.

I used the setting just as in the link I posted to above. Wiring changes and computer mods worked out okay by the instructions. I just used the setting changes that I could find in Tunerstudio that were in the EDIS section manual. Guess the other settings weren't important. My timing seems to be off by 1 degree, but I believe I can compensate for that with the trigger offset, right?

I switched to an EDIS ignition because I am pulling the turbo stuff off, and making a custom eaton m122 blower set-up. If I am not happy with the power it puts out, and the 2.3 TVS blower are still really pricey, I may add a set of turbos in the trunk. Business up front party in the rear. :) I don't race the car, and have no intention of it, so off idle power in what I want most now. The 545 BBF in my other mustang has me ruined for waiting for the boost to show up.

Rough mock up leaves no room for a distributor.
    [​IMG]#ad

Jess

7. ashford

in edis you are allowed up to 10 degrees trigger offset. the only thing i don't like about edis is that timeing can not be less than 10degreees and not spark cut.

8. mustang-junky

So, fuel cut only for rev limiter? If so, I don't like that either.

Jess