1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help to identify a turbo buddy got in a trade Air research,Detroit Des., Allison

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by screamin363, Dec 10, 2008.

1. screamin363

Here are the numbers of the turbo. I know the help identify turbo stuff gets old but i just want to see iof he can use this turbo or if he got screwed.

AirResearch
    Detroit Diesel Allison
    Numbers on center tag -----5102117 & JJ0331

Hot side AR is a huge 1.84
    Cold side is .95

could this turbo be used in the future? He obviously doesn't have a 600+ ci motor to spool it. But what would it take to make it work with a 383 sb motor.

Guys thanks for any help.

2. Torqued

Divided turbine inlet? How big is the inducer on the compressor?

3. brianj5600

I found this in google. TV8101 AR 1.84 8V92T

4. screamin363

NON divided inlet on hot side

compressor side inlet is abot 4.5 inches

Hope that will narrow the search.

5. Torqued

Not sure what size turbine wheel you've got, but a 1.84AR sounds pretty big for a 383 if the wheel is large. If it was a divided scroll, you could have looked into some of the approaches to sending all or most of the exhaust flow into one of the ports to get it to spool, but this one is undivided. My guess is you're going to have a tough time getting it to spool on a 383 at any reasonable rpm without feeding the engine nitrous to "bulk up" your exhaust flow to get this thing spinning.

Moving over to the cold side, if you can get a measurement in mm of the compressor inducer diameter (blade to blade) you can start looking at maps of compressors with similar inducer diameters to at least get you in the ballpark of how much air this turbo can move. A rough rule of thumb is every pound of air it can move per minute is good for 10hp. Is this turbo a Garrett?

6. Torqued

Looking over your post again you said it was an AirReseach which is a Garrett. You could look at Garrett's current catalog but it is likely your unit is old school and may not produce as much as the current models. Here's a link once you get the inducer diameter:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/images/catalog/catalog_common/catalog.pdf

If it turns out this is a TV8101, you should be able to find the map for it even though it is not in the current Garrett catalog.