1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help needed with Wolfe roll cage.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Hemann, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Hemann

I am putting in a Wolfe roll cage and have a couple of questions.

I can't get a weld all the way around the hoop. Is it OK to weld around the bottom of the bar then up the sides?

How do I weld in the rocker bar? Don't have room to weld very much of it.

What is the best order to weld this kit in?

Picture 003 (Medium).jpg #ad

Picture 004 (Medium).jpg #ad

2. Stangguy

is this his pre-notched kit? Hold and weld?

3. 1sicpny

Yeah but what he's saying is he can't get all the way around the tubing. with the welder

4. Hemann

Hold and weld.

5. chriscrna

the front rocker bar can be welded by swinging the downbar door bar and rocker bar by the main hoopinward to the center of the car weld and swing back the the main hoop. Is it a 14 pt ? To weld around the windshield bar get a 1 3/4 hole saw and mark the down bars and make a hole in the floor--drop the two down bar/dashbars through the holes and weld all the way around- Do the same to the main hoop rear down bars. The only way I see you can get the rocker bar done all the way around is to drop the cage out the bottom.

6. Enginerd

:withu:

7. Hemann

Enginerd do you have the rocker bar in your car?

8. Enginerd

No. I left mine out since it is not required by NHRA.

9. Stangguy

at what E.T. is it required? Dave once told me to weld as far as you can, then just stitch it to the rocker. The the inspector cannot see around the otherside if the weld is blocking it. Don't know if this makes sence. :huh:

10. ShaneH

Dan at Wolfe did exactly that on mine years ago. He welded as far around the tube as he could, then welded the tube to the rocker

11. Hemann

Do you guys agree that in the first pic. I can weld around the bottom of the tube. Then weld up the sides and around the back. I might need a small triangle filler to put in the corner.

Thanks
    James

12. Briansshop

That's exactly how mine is done.

13. ShaneH

I just went back out and looked at mine. Dan welded as far around the tube bottom as he could. Then at the main hoop, Dan used 1"x3"x1/8" plate to make a gusset to the rocker from the main hoop. In the front, he welded as far around the bottom as he could then could stitch weld up the side as it was close enough to the rocker already.