1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stand Alone EFI Options

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Mcpcola, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Mcpcola

I am in the final process of building a Turbo ON3 7875 feed 5.3 that is swapped into a G35 Sedan. I currently have the truck Intake manifold as my motor is from a 2001 Tahoe and I have Fuel Injector Connection 72/lb Mini Delphi Injectors. I am to a point of ordering my engine management and I am really struggling to make a decision. Top contenders are Holley HP EFI, Fitech 70050, MS3 Goldbox, or Microsquirt.

Wants
    Easy to Tune or get assistance in the forums
    Display to show gauges prefer integrated such as Shadow Dash on Android Touchscreen radio or like Fitech and Holley displays this one hurts Holley as its 800 bucks for a display option
    Pre-built Harness easy to assemble such as 3 Bar MAP that installs in truck manifold or prebuilt manifold that fits what ever comes with the system
    Wideband integrated
    Price is an issue I can afford the Holley but is it really worth it of can a cheaper option offer me the features I want and be reliable.

I have read that the HP EFI is good but expensive and they nickle and grand you for the upgrades that I want which kinda pushes the outer limit of the budget I am working with which meaning sacrificing other items.

2. fastspec2

Microsquirt with a drop on harness.
    Ticks all your boxes except possibly the wideband request depending on what you concider "integrated" if you don't mind running a power, a ground, and the 0-5v output wire from the WB to the pink wire, then integrated it is.

3. Mcpcola

By intergrated just has to have a hookup and get data from it which all do

4. fastspec2

Then yeah, microsquirt with an IAC box will do great.
    Also happens to be the cheapest option and in my opinion the easiest to tune. FI tech tecnically self tunes, but there is still a bunch of fussing with it to get it 100%

5. Mcpcola

I know the Microsquirt works and has a ton of online support and I want to really like Fitech but the lack of info available and everything that I find is post about getting the kit and very few its up and running and almost nothing on Youtube on it. I just want to make sure I spend the money wisely and have a running car after and dont have to start over or kill everything else I want to get done budget wise.

6. Mnlx

Bang for buck, Microsquirt is great, but keep in mind that the ls ign takes 2 more of the limited number of outputs. I'm running 2 of Efisource Micro's and i'm very happy with them for what they cost.

Mcpcola and fastspec2 like this.
  7. fastspec2

Buy the Microsquirt and drop on harness from efi source.
    I have done twenty or so with no problems to speak of. Most boosted, some not. I Love it.
    Unless you don't follow the instructions it will work fine.

Mcpcola likes this.
  8. Mcpcola

Not really concerned with outputs just needs to run and only thing that would be nice is to activate the fan on start and fuel pump but both can be triggered off one output

9. fastspec2

Great point.Yes, the I/O is limited.
    But a bunch of I/O was not in his list of wants, and concidering one of his options was FItech with minimal I/O as well I didn't figure it was a requirement. Otherwise a DIY MS3 ultimate with a drop on would be able to handle any and all I/O requirements for expansion in the future. At that point though the holley cost starts to encroach on the affordability of the MS3 ultimate.
    I'm with you, I love all the Micro installs I have done so far.

10. B E N

This might be because it really is plug and play, it only takes a little dialing in and then its pretty transparent. There are some fitech groups on facebook that are pretty active.

I like my fitech 600PA, and I think it was the right choice for where I was at the time. But now I wish I would have gone with megasquirt (or at least the fitech 1200PA)... there is just more to be done with it, its better for the tinkerer type person where the fitech is better for the casual hot rodder that just wants EFI and the least hassle for little cash, its sort of like a carb with an easy button.

11. Mcpcola

I am looking at the 70050 kit I plan to run around 10psi low and 14psi high. The biggest issue I see is modifying things to make it fit. Like I have the truck intake and injectors so i would need modify the intake and buy adapters for the injectors. I would really love the plug and drive aspect and I am not looking to get every ounce of power out of my car just live with frequent abuse lol.

12. Disney Lincoln

In the history of man kind, there has never been a fool proof plug and play solution to turbocharge a gasoline v8. Between the piping, engine, fuel, and EFI or carb, there's a thousand ways to screw it up. I like that you have all these plans. Should help. With all of this EFI shopping you should end up with a good EFI in a nice car with a great engine and a really shitty turbo kit. I don't see how any of this could go wrong. Document it on Youtube please.

13. Mcpcola

I take it that you disapprove of the on3 turbo can I ask why? I know it’s China built but a lot of brands source from there. It was not a blind purchase I am duplicating a set up a friend has on his 350z he drag races so that might make a difference but he is over 600 has been running it for a few years with no issue. He has also evolved from stock pcm tunes to his current Holley hp efi setup I just want to find a system that works and as for the efi and fool proof I am aware that there are millions of variables and tune issues I don’t expect a plug and drive even with Fitech I know you have to make adjustments and all that is why I am looking for feedback hopefully from experienced users before I set in on a system and finalize my plans.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  14. Mcpcola

Btw I am not running their kit just the turbo and if that is a mistake to go ON3 then I will learn and find something better next go around.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  15. Disney Lincoln

I am consistently anti-On3, but mainly due to their thievery of people's designs that was chronicled here on these boards years ago.

For EFI, I use a lot of MS products. MS2, MS3, MS3x, Micro, so that's what i'm familiar with. Really they all the the same thing. Holley is probably the easiest due to so many plug in options, but clearly, it's going to cost the most. MS is pretty heavily dependent on the end user being comfortable with making things work more than plugging things in. There is a lot of support though and you can ultimately "do more" with the MS stuff than Holley IMHO.

Mcpcola likes this.
  16. Mcpcola

I dont know the history of on3 other than most reviews say Turbos are good but Kits are junk so I hope it holds up and I am really leaning toward the Microsquirt with drop on harness as the Holley to me is just a bit too much when I add on the options that i want and they had no clue when i called the product sales line to get info on using my Multec 2 injectors even though they sell a separate harness for them the guy just wanted me to add Holley injectors to the HP EFI kit and that would push the Holley over 3K with Dash and that is just way to high when they Micro can be ordered with the correct connectors and tuned at almost any reputable speed shop for under 1500 including the purchase of the ECU and Harness.

17. fastspec2

Just keep in mind alot of shops are not megasquirt friendly. Things have gotten better, but alot of places for many different reasons (some pretty valid ones in my opinion) will not tune an MS.
    If you are going to tune it, My suggestion would be megasquirt for sure. If not though, go find the guy that will be tuning it and buy 100% of whatever he says to buy. Pretty much regardless of price. That way the guy who is actually doing the work is comfortable with the platform and can concentrate on a good product and not concentrate on learning a new one. MS has always been a very DIY driven system and it works best in the arena. If you can find AHEAD OF TIME, a good MS guy that is cool with your combo then great, carry on, just don't be surprised if you have to hunt for someone who will do it. This would have been my advice from the begining but you made it sound like you wanted to tune it.

18. Mcpcola

I was just saying have it tuned my plan is to start with a basic turbo tune and learn to do it myself but I do have some that can help with MS stuff.

19. fastspec2

Cool, DIY is the best Y

20. westcoastwrenchin

I'm a huge fan of the microsquirt. They're so cheap and so cheap and easy. I'd honestly recommend going with the micro and building your own harness for a number of reasons:

1. Building the harness is easy, I did the one in the video below in less than 4 hours including making the video and taking all the shots.

2. Building the harness will teach you exactly how every sensor works which is very simple.

3. Before ever even starting your car you can verify your MAP (is it atmosphere), your spark (spark your coils in test mode), your injectors (fire them in test mode), coolant temp (is it close to outside temp?), IAT (is it close to outside temp?), Crank sensor (does the rpm gauge show when cranking?). Take all that into account and you can test EVERY sensor before ever even starting your car which means its simple to get running, very simple.

4. Base map is simple to make. Mike at EFI source or even me can send the base tune and go from there. Take a lot of timing out and start tuning.

5. Buy tuner studio ultra for the hundred bucks or whatever it is and it will even self tune your fuel map.