1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help me pick a turbo for my 5.3 drag camaro

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Uneverknow, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Uneverknow

Ok so I'm building an all drag setup on a budget. The car is a 98 z28 hardtop shooting for 3,000lb raceweight single turbo 5.3l gen 4 rods and pistons turbo cam stock truck intake backed by a th400. I was set on a s475 t6 1.32ar but now that it's time to buy I'm wondering if I should go s480 and if I do a s480 what should I be doing for t4 or t6 and what ar? I'm staying cast wheels and standard cover either way to keep cost down. What's some of your guys input on these turbo? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

2. ashford

a cast s480 is about a 5-7% increase in flow compared to the 475 not worth the extra $. the s475 is a fair match to a stock cammed 5.3 if anything it is laggy.

3. Bad Medicine Racing

Spend a little extra an get the S475 with the 96mm turbine and 1.10 housing. Get a nice divided flange from Street Carr Fabrication, and you will not be disappointed with spool up time.

https://www.liljohnsmotorsports.com/borg-warner-s475.html

This link has drop downs so you can choose the turbine wheel and housing. John is a good guy too, I have spent several dollars with him.

4. Uneverknow

Ok, I know the 1.10 will spool up faster then the 1.32 but will it ru. Out of steam? It's a track only car. I hope to be low 9s and into the 8s after I'm done with the weight reductions and tweaks Thanks for the responses.

5. Bad Medicine Racing

The 1.10 seems fine on my 6.0. Comes on like a light switch and pulls hard. I have not logged backpressure though. Car is 3700 and runs 5.9X in 1/8.

6. Mnlx

For race only (especially if you have a trans brake) the 1.32 works quite well with the right hotside, and a cam. That being said, I doubt you'll out grow the 1.10/96mm with stock heads on a 5.3. My problem with the 1.10 is they machine the center section, so there is no going back to the 1.32 without pulling the turbo apart, and secondly would be cost if on a budget. Both will get you where you want to go, so it's more your preference.

7. Bad Medicine Racing

I know my turbine housing was machined to fit. I never looked at the center section. We originally speced this one for a 5.3 in a buddys car, then I ended up getting it for mine. I can make 16psi@3600 on the T-Brake.

8. Mnlx

I was told (Jose at Forced inductions) that the center section has to be machined as well, but maybe they've come up with a better method since then. Either way it's not a big deal, and comes down to your budget.

9. Bad Medicine Racing

This is a FI unit from 2013, so it most likely has been cut.

10. Uneverknow

Well I think I'm going to go with the s480 t6 1.32 96mm, any last minute reasons why I shouldn't?

11. Bad Medicine Racing

I would go ahead and look into the billet wheel. They move more air, and spool a little quicker than cast. Other than that, buy it from Work Turbochargers, or Forced Inductions. Both great guys to do business with.

12. Forcefed86

VS racing sells a S480 clone with a little larger better flowing billet wheel for $790 shipped. They also have an S488 now for 1050 shipped. Personally after stepping up from the T4 stuff to T6, I'd never put a T4 on another small block. Building a 4.8 now that will also receive a 1.32 T6 S480. You can cam them more aggressively and make more power per pound of boost with the larger exhaust housings. It's a win/win for a drag car.