1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help me out on this "TICK"

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Mikes001GT, May 4, 2009.

1. Mikes001GT

Help me out on this "TICK"

I have an MMR 1100 longbock with stage 3 p&p heads/ turbo cams, I have about 20 break in miles on this fresh motor and it developed a tick that sounds as if its comn from the driver side valve cover, Its definatly not an exhaust leak, I pulled the injector/coil plugs on at a time to see if it was and injector or coil arc but its was the same with them unplugged, I pulled the valve cover to see if a follower worked its way loose and they all looked good, re-torqued the spark plugs etc... Im kinda stuck at this point dont know if its normal or not, its pretty noticable in the car with the windows up, im trying to post a vid but it dosent do the sound justice...Any thoughts??? [​IMG]#ad

2. blacksaleen95

Re: Help me out on this "TICK"

sounds like it's coming from the rocker/lifters...

are you 100% sure it's not an exh leak? Take a screwdriver and put the metal part to the valve cover, and the handle to your ear and it'll amplify the noise enough where you might be able to figure out it a little more... no joking either....

3. Mikes001GT

I am 99.999% sure its not an exhaust leak, i have a ton of gasket maker on the headers and all the other exhaust joints are leak free, I can get my hand right up on the header with it running and feel nothing coming from the flange, i also put a stethascope near the header and heard nothing indicating A leak, i need to get a clearer vid with the car out of the garage...can a bum lash adjuster cause piston or valve damage??

4. bags50lx

Did you degree the cams in? sounds like ptv hitting.

5. tommyboy

did you use new lash adjusters or just re-use the old ones? i've heard those can cause a problem and ticking can occur.

6. Scotty B

Did you bleed the lash adjusters before installing them (if used)? An adjuster with a leaky check ball could make noise. would colapse and bottom the adjuster everytime the valve opened. Would get worse with higher spring pressure. What kind of springs are you using?

7. Mikes001GT

MMR built my motor so I would think the cams were degreed, also the pistons are notched for the cams so I hope its not a ptv problem, I did reuse my old lifters but they had low miles, How do I check if they are collapsed?? They all looked pumped up to the rocker when I pulled the valve cover...It dosent usually make a sound untill i rev the motor a bit, at idle it dissapears....

8. DiGiam42

I hate to say this but if you look at 90% of the people on here with ticking noises, its usually a hurt engine. Not saying you did anything to hurt it but it just always seems to be the case. If its not an obvious exhaust leak it ends up being what we all fear. I hope thats not whats wrong with yours especially because its a new engine.

9. Mikes001GT

heres another vid full temp outside, I switched the injectors from bank to bank to see if the tick would follow, still the same this drives me nuts, would a compression test show if there was a slight bend in a valve/rod/piston skirt?? I hope so bad this is not one of my issues... [​IMG]#ad

10. blacksaleen95

I doubt the engine is hurt....

it's prob a bad lifter, it'd def coming from the top end.. it's too fast to be anything rod/bearing related.

11. Mikes001GT

I just pulled the breather and put my stethascope in the hole on the valve cover and im not hearing it inside the valve cover :huh: I played around with the coils switching them and unplugging them to see if it would change and never did, How would I go about checking the lifters? I know I need a valve spring compressor but dont i need a special attachment to keep from compressing the spring to far and ruining a valve seat?? How do you tell if there bad?? Im going to pull the driver side header later and reseal it just to be 100% sure but i dont think thats it...

12. candyroush

do both a compression and leak down test. that will tell you if have any engine damage. you may want to contact mmr if they built the motor and talk to them, they probably could give you some good info on your build.

13. Mikes001GT

I just pulled the headers and resealed them, I hope that was possibly the problem, have to wait till the morning to see, If not then I will start a leak down/compression test...

14. jmstekguy

had the exact same noise with my motor on startup and lasted for a while, it was valvetraqin speciific and would intermittently get noisier and quieter, i replaced the lifters because they were the only things i didnt replace new, and the noise went away.

15. Mikes001GT

Im hoping if its not exhaust then new lifters will do the fix, how easy are they to change?? Any tips?

16. Mikes001GT

Well its not an exhaust leak went over and resealed the header and checked my joints last nite still same noise, How do I go about changing lifters?

17. jmstekguy

pretty simple if youve don cams, pretty much re/re the timing cover and chains/tensionsers, secondary chains and tensioner, then remove cams, remove cam followers, then pull the lifters out of the bores, obviously this is a real quick over view on how to do it, grab a manual and its pretty straight forward.

18. RobR

Dude ... He has a 2v motor and there is no need to pull off timing cover or chains .... All you need to do is pull your valve cover and remove your rockers(will need a 2v spring compressor made by OTC or snap on tools) to compress the valve down to remove the rockers ... Once the rockers are off bump your motor over till the cam lobe is straight up to clear the lifters and the lifters will pull right out and then replace them with new ones .... At the same time that you have your rockers off , do an inspection on all of your rockers for wear spots on the fulcrum area that rides on the valve tips and check the roller wheels to make sure there smooth and not trying to lock up ... Another thing to check for since your there would be for gallding valve guides ... The easiest way to check would be to use a long screw driver and place the tip on the side off the retainer and the shaft of the screw driver blade against the cam and pry with minute pressure against the retainer and watch for excessive movement of the valve from side to side ... Hope this helps

Later RobR

19. Mikes001GT

Thanks Rob, def helps out alot, should I fill the cylinders with compressed air to keep the valves from dropping down, Do I need to be at TDC when compressing the spring?? And is there any way to compress the spring to far and damage anything??THANKS AGAIN

20. jmstekguy

i thought it was a 4v for some reason, lol sorry dude :stupid: