1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Thinking of going Fuel Injection

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by twin turbo mower, Mar 25, 2007.

1. twin turbo mower

I was thinking of going to fuel injection , I have a chrysler 400 sr heads 295 cc cnc ported . msd distributor and msd 6 digital box, pair of turbonectics 62-1 turbos , with waste gates maybe 18lbs of boost in future. What is the best system for my application , would rather keep it simple. I see acell gen 7 but it wants a distributor and so on , then I see mega squirt. Any mopar guys done these and if so how much they cost total?

2. Matt Cramer

I'm running Megasquirt on my '66 Dart (disclaimer: I also work for a Megasquirt seller, but I got that job after the Dart project was well underway). You can run Megasquirt in fuel-only mode if you have a MSD BTM or the like, or you can put Megasquirt in charge of the igniiton by locking out the distributor. I'm running a Lean Burn distributor, but since you already have a MSD distributor you can simply locks advance mechanism it out and configure the Megasquirt to read the distributor signal and fire the MSD box.

The Megasquirt component costs will depend on whether you want to assemble one or buy one ready-made. I spent more on having a slant six manifold reworked for EFI and a set of injectors than I did on the electronics. I went without the relay board, but it will make installation a lot easier - I wouldn't try that again myself, and have considered dropping a relay board into my already-assembled setup. You can spend around $500 or so for the ECU, relay board, temperature sensors, shipping, and wiring in kit form, another $200 for having it assembled, and another $200 if you want a wideband oxygen sensor system.

3. flatfoot78

4. mtpturbo

Not sure what your concerns are about the distributor, could you elablorate?

As far as which system is best, that is largely a matter of personal preference. If money is your only consideration and you have time to tinker, the Megasquirt may be what you want. There are a lot of megasquirt fans on this board.

If you want a more refined system you may want a Gen VII, FAST XFI or BS3 (we handle all three).

I suggest getting a copy of the software, most are available from vendor websites. This is the best way to get a feel for the features and user-friendliness of each.

In my opinion, a system like the Gen VII & others is money well spent, particularly if you have a significant amount of money tied up in your project. I have spent years tuning at heads up races all over the U.S. and have yet to see a serious race car equipped with a Megasquirt. However, I'm sure there are a lot of street/strip guys using it successfully.

Chris S.
    www.mtpturbo.com

5. ORANGE88

i would do a VII,fast, or BS3. there really not all that much more 500-1200. you dont have to make a harness, and there better tech support.

P.S. i had a megasquirt last year and this year im running a FAST XFI

6. twin turbo mower

Thanks for all the replys , I just didnt want to by another distributor , I think the accel wants you to use there distributor .

7. ORANGE88

they all will or atleast a crank trigger

8. mtpturbo

The Gen VII will support most any distributor. The reason for using one of theirs (dual sync) is if you wish to run in sequential mode. That requires both a crank and cam signal.

You can run batch fire mode with crank signal (distributor pickup) only.

-Chris

9. mtpturbo

I often get flamed for recommending anything other than a megasquirt, its nice to see that I'm not the only one who finds added value in one of the other 'expensive' systems.
    -Chris

10. tay-fu300zxtt

Fuel injection is a goood thing : )

11. Craig Smith

I do, I do! :D

12. turbogt67

I think if you buy fast, gen VII, or BS3 it is money well spent in the long ran. Plus there are alot of people on here that can help you out setting it up. :2thumbs:

Tim

13. Anthony Fury

I built a Megasquirt I (which tested flawlessly) for my car, but I never installed it. I will eventually go back to one (I sold it to fund a MSII V3.0), but unless you've done a few installs, there's a lot of reading, wiring, and soldering/re-soldering to facilitate hardware compatibility - and that's if you buy a built one. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great piece, and one day I'm going to sell my (old) FAST to go back to the MSII, but there's more to installing a MS and getting it to work than just tossing an "expensive" system.

Also, one thing nobody ever tells you is that the fuel system to support the amount of power you're looking for makes the cost of an "expensive" computer look puny, or at least reasonable. Even if you convert your manifold yourself and bend your own hard lines....pumps, big injectors, fittings, etc, all start to add up.

14. Matt Cramer

No kidding. I've spent over $1,000 on my fuel system, and I went with a set of used injectors and an off the shelf Ford fuel pump rather than a larger aftermarket pump. But I did have to take the manifold to a machine shop to have it fitted for injectors, a fuel rail, and a throttle body.

15. FastmOp

I use the mopar performance dizzy with my FAST sys, but I only use it for the cam sync and use the crank trigger for the timeing. You will love fuel injection, I do my motor is a 500ci RB with INDY heads and a huge roller. I like carbs to but my junk will be EFI'd from now on.

16. 392 Single

Nice motor. Carb is a little chaper but not a good of drivability or tunability.