1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Put a 5.0 in the Ranger or 84 turbocoupe motor?

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by Moodys 97 Vobra, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Moodys 97 Vobra

My 93 Ranger has over 240,000 thousands miles on the 3.0 engine. The motor is still going strong, but it will give out some day. I have a 95GT motor and 5speed, 96 Explorer motor, or 84 Thunderbird 5speed motor.

I bought a running pretty nice 84 Thunderbird turbocoupe today. Someone broke into it and trashed the inside, but that car is pretty solid. I had to buy the whole car just to get the .60/.63 turbo. I have been planning on putting a V8 in the Ranger, but I'm sure the turbocoupe motor will get better gas mileage?

I have a friend with a 5.0 in his ranger and he gets 23 mpg. What kind of gas mileage do the turbocoupes get?

What would be your choice?

I also have a 95 Mustang twin turbo project still going on. I finally got another turbo so; maybe I will finish it sometime soon?

2. linkmustang

out the 5.0 in

3. Ryan H

My Turbo Coupe gets 29 mpg average on the highway, 31-33 if I stay out of boost. I don't think your ranger weighs as much as a Turbo Coupe. I also cruise the highway at 3,000 RPM with my 3.73 rear gears. My mileage would be better if I could cruise at a lower RPM (or if I did the speed limit :D).

The 2.3L will beat the 5.0L on gas mileage hands down. Price/performance on the 2.3 is good up until around 400 rwhp, where you must build the short block. Then stuff starts getting expensive (however still not quite as expensive as building up a 5.0L with the right parts!)

I think you're going to get a million opinions on this and/or start a pissing match. So this is my 2¢, FWIW!

4. Moodys 97 Vobra

You maybe right about the pissing contest. So, I will clear this up. This is my daily driver. I was going the V8 route because I had the motor. When the motor or transmission goes, I don't want to spend the money on putting another 3.0 in the truck. I would rather spend the same amont or less and put 5.0 in the truck.

I planed on just putting a stock 5.0 motor nothing fancy. Now that I have the car I think that would be a neat swap too.

Thanks for everyones opinions.

This is and 84 Thunderbird Turbo coupe. If I put the motor into the truck I would rebuild the motor. Is this a good year with the wiring harness and computer?

5. mfpmax

Its fine. Engines didn't change between the years save maybe the heads(nothing powerwise). Most people go for the 87/88 LA2 and LA3 ECUs. Check the harness as its old and could have some damage to it.

6. fastwhite86gt

my friend is putting his 5.0 in his 99 ranger in a couple weeks.

7. Scott02GT

Me too

8. BOSs5.0

I don't know where you live, but the state usually won't argue with a 2.3 to 2.3 swap, but will get a little mad when you start putting in engine options that were never an option from the factory. AT least here in Utah they do.

By the way, I'm currently right this second getting my TC 2.3 swap in a 1990 Ranger done up.

9. Erich

As much as I like 5.0s, I would do the 2.3 swap. You already have a turbo 2.3-its not like putting a turbo on a regular 2.3. You will have less weight in the front, plenty of power, better gas mileage and some uniqueness.
    Erich

10. JL_Tampa

2.3 is a solid little engine
    I'd go with the TC set-up for a DD

11. bryan1979

hey, i've had both, 5.0 mustangs and turbocoupes.
    with a few very basic mods the 2.3 turbo will pull as hard as a 5.0
    air in air out, intercooler, boost controller, etc.
    the mileage of the 4banger is better.

theres a awesome web site for these cars:

www.turbotbird.com/

or google search: turbocoupe, a site called n.a.t.o. will come up (north american turbocupe organization)
    they have a ton of info

12. hybred

tough choice but i'd have to say the tc motor with mega squirt. :D yeah the 5.0 in stock form get's decent gas milliage but the fact that your here probably means you're not good at leaving well enough alone and would want more power. this is where the 2.3 shines over a 5.0 in N/A form. with a elchepo $100 ebay i/c, some head/intake porting and fmu and cranking up the boost you'll have a fun little truck that will be near bullet proof. to get the N/A 5.0 to 350fhp it would take more $$ and you will certainly sacrifice fuel economy. don't know about exhaust but asssuming you'll run cats to pass emmissions and duels for the 5.0 vs. larger single for the 2.3 the tc motor wins out there too. lastly, i would love the room in the engine bay :2thumbs: i've actually been considering this swap for my 01 tj. it's got a 4cyl in it now :'( it get's 17 mpg and has NO power.

13. Flycaz

I've done both as well....
    The 5.0 was in a 4x4 and the 2.3T in a 2-wheel.
    2.3 made a better DD and was a much easier install but that was because the 5.0 was an Auto so I had to get a C5 BII tailhousing installed on a C4 to fit in the transfer case... and that whole game. If I had the option to do either I'd still do the 2.3. Those motors are .10 a dozen and very easy to work on.

Fly

14. orion_134

Go to rangerpowersports.com...that site is completely dedicated to everything ranger and those seeking knowledge will be amazed. I went from nothing to supercharging and intercooling a 4.0 SOHC long before they came out in the Mustang, and I learned it all from that site.
    Jesse

15. Drac0nic

+1

16. T76 Mach

:lau: He said the turbocoupes pull just as hard as a 5.0

Do the 5.0 and don't look back.If you do the 2.3 than you will want more boost.

17. Turbopit

Yep, he sure will. Which is extremely easy and safe to do.