1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Locked out timing?

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by mooktank, Mar 25, 2005.

1. mooktank

who here is running locked out timing? I'm just wondering if so is it better than with the spout in? Does it give more throttle response at low rpms and prevent detonation at higher rpms in boost? Would this adversely affect gas mileage?

2. ray91

3. Got N2O

<back from the dead>

from what I can tell it will prevent detonation at part throttle/lower boost when the EEC would add more timing than WOT conditions. I'm trying to research this too, I'm just curious about the driveability if I lock the timing at say 18*.

4. Eric88T

I ran locked for awhile and hated it. Cruising was crap, I burned alot of wires from the heat, and I also noticed my car came into boost faster with spout in. Really theres only a small portion of timing at part throttle that might possibly hurt you. As long as you don't floor it at 2000rpm in 4th and/or you have a very fast spooling turbo in that rpm range.....you should be fine. I could definately hear knock when I did something like above so I stopped doing it. I run 6* spout in now, stock a9l

5. sagep

are u running any boost retard?

6. silverback

Realistically, if you're running a stall speed above about 3000rpm then you won't be able to tell the difference.