1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

help me build an 8.8 with nine inch ends

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by linkmustang, Feb 7, 2010.

1. linkmustang

help me build my 8.8 i want to have 9inch ends welded and tubes and 5 lug and 3.73 street strip 500 to 600 hp
    please

2. 86turboGT

I'm interested in learning too.

3. Chris91LX

There's a couple other threads about this on here if you search a bit.

I had mine built using 9" ends, the explorer rear brake kit from FRPP and welded and braced. There's a bunch of info about my build on the corral here: http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=864274&highlight=moser

These are the pics.

Check out the difference between the 8.8 ends and the 9"

Here's the e-brake setup:

Here's the completed brakes:

And the finished product:

4. 89coltgt

What size are the Mustang 8.8 axle tubes? I am wondering how well those ends would fit on my explorer 8.8 axles tubes, they are 3.25"

5. Lingles Total Performance

I dont believe 9" ends would be necissary to handle 500-600hp although they would benefit you down the road. I've seen many pro-stick mustangs @ the track making 900+hp with original 8.8 ends.

6. Chris91LX

Not necessary, but WAY better than c-clip eliminators.

7. jt351

yeah 9 inch ends doesn't make a rear end stronger, its only a rule to have c-clip eliminators if going faster than 10.99 if I believe, the 9 inch end just won't leak and will survive longer on the street than the cheapie bolt on eliminators

8. linkmustang

more brake options wnat axles and diff whould i use

9. 86lxnotch

you want a spool or a limited slip? you know what brakes and wheels you want to run? a few things go into it but it isnt a huge deal, personally i prefer all strange components

10. linkmustang

limited slip 31 spline

11. 86lxnotch

then just get a 31 spline t-loc, strange axles and strange (iirc here) h1138 ends and h1138a retainers. this will give you the 9'' end with the stock 8.8 pattern on it so you can retain the stock drum brakes on it. now would be optimal time to shorten it a lil as well but then you need new wheels(if you already have wheels obviously)

12. linkmustang

what e brake cables are u useing

13. 86lxnotch

not running one, you can get rear disc kits with e-brake built in or like some people do is use explorer disc brakes with the e-brake

14. 89coltgt