1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

most common engine management system w/ turbo?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by team_southside, Sep 22, 2005.

1. team_southside

Sorry if i sound like a jackass....but im not familiar with turbo setups yet...I was just wondering what most guys are running for engine management with a turbo setup. I am looking into going that route versus the blower setup that running now. Can you retain the factory computer or is it necessary to go to an aftermarket engine management system. I am looking to boost to around the 700 hp range.

2. Redsnk95

Trying running a searching in the Engine Management forum to get some more answers.

People wanting total control are using FAST, Accel DFI, AEM, or BigStuff3. You can use the PMS or TwEECer if you want to keep your stock EEC.

Troy

3. ziptie007

I have run my car to mid 10's on the stock computer with noc hips or anything. I would say any typeof engine management system would depend on $$$. tweecer is the cheapest that I know of and then you work your way up money wise. I personally have the aem setup noe and I'm happy with it. I paid about 1100 for the aem. 120 for the map sensor and 500 for a aem dual wideband 02 setup.

4. Unatural

Another good one if you're willing to do some work yourself is the Megasquirt. I just bought a kit, stimulator test kit, wiring harness, Innovate WB, and some GM CLT and IAT sensors with harnesses and it cost me $543 shipped. The main thing is that you have to put the whole thing together yourself, including building the circuit board. It's really not as hard as is sounds though as long as you can solder. All of the pieces come indiv bagged with part numbers on them and there are step by step instructions online. I just finished building the board and it took me about 10 hrs total. It can do most everything that the big money systems mentioned earlier can do too. Such as control the fuel, spark, and datalog. Plus you can adjust things on the fly while the car is running and driving. If I remember right, Parish, the guy that owns the 1000HP turbo truck is running this system too, so yes, it can support a big HP system.

5. spankustang

I'm using Accel Gen 7!! Still have lots to learn about. There's unlimited potential with this or FAST!!

6. gtluke

you are also obviously not very familiar with reading forum names.
    -moved-

7. team_southside

thanks for all the info guys...very helpful.